Kissing gourami getting thin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
My kissing gourami that is about 2.5 inches long has recently been getting very thin. I'm starting to worry about him. He always eats and here are water params
Ammo 0 nititrite 0 nitrate 10 ph 8.2.

What's the color of his excrements (fancy and more appropriate word for poo)? Internal parasites is always an option. Any recent additions to the tank? Any recent disease outbreaks?

If he is otherwise entirely healthy, feed a bit more and see how he does. Good luck!

Hope I helped!

Yeah I think it might be parasites his poo seemed to be normal though. I'll try feeding a bit more thanks.

If it is parasites could some of my other catch them

Yes, it may very well be contagious. If you have a QT, I would judge that he stays in there for the time being.

You would need a more experienced aquarist to determine which parasite it is (If it truly is a parasite!), but if you don't, the parasite would start to kill the fish. I can't help in identification, I haven't had serious parasites before. Talk to an experienced aquarist, or someone who has a lot of tanks, they should know about certain parasites and how to treat them.

Hope I helped!!

The only thing my lfs had was seachem focus. I will add it to his food. Has anyone used focus in the past.

What color is the poop? You should be looking for long stringy poop, or if you see worm or worm-like things hanging out of its Anus.

Is the poop stringy and clear/white? Or is it stringy and a colour closer to the colour of his food?

usually if they have an internal parasite the poop goes white and/or clear. The fact that it isn't is good. It also indicates he is still eating. Maybe you should try giving him something interesting to eat, brine shrimp or blood worms. It may be that he is lacking an essential vitamin and he may be able to get it in a new type of food.
I would keep a close eye though, it is definitely concerning that he is thinning. Sometimes the only way to diagnose is if you see a secondary symptom. I hope he is ok.

Oh, another sign of parasites is listlessness and spitting out his food.

Keep us posted!! I'll follow the thread and chime in if I think of anything to help. Pictures would be lovely too :)

Luna09 said:
usually if they have an internal parasite the poop goes white and/or clear. The fact that it isn't is good. It also indicates he is still eating. Maybe you should try giving him something interesting to eat, brine shrimp or blood worms. It may be that he is lacking an essential vitamin and he may be able to get it in a new type of food.
I would keep a close eye though, it is definitely concerning that he is thinning. Sometimes the only way to diagnose is if you see a secondary symptom. I hope he is ok.

Oh, another sign of parasites is listlessness and spitting out his food.

Could I hatch some brine shrimp and feed him that.

Baby brine have more protein than adult. I would feed them within 24-28 hours of setting up the eggs to hatch. They won't do any harm to your other fish of eaten, so go for it :) they will all be happy. Just make sure they don't out compete your thin little kisser, who may need them more :)

Most LFSs have them. They come in a little clear plastic tube. That he is in quarantine is really good. Funny, I know it's for the best of everyone but I always end up feeling sorry for my fish if they are solitary. Hopefully he is ok. I have a soft spot for kissing gourami :) my first fish ever was one of the pink variety. His name was Barbie and I was 7 lol.

Back
Top Bottom