Knight Goby bruised?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evsterz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to this site so I am sorry if this has been addressed before. I have had my little Knight Goby for about 2 years (maybe more). He has been thriving with vibrant colors, monster appetite, with the quirkiest personality.

Just now I found what looked to possibly plant root or maybe string going through his mouth and possibly out his gill? I placed him in a net thinking maybe he attempted to eat the string holding down the annubias to driftwood. He literally was scooped flawlessly into the net (no pinning against glass or objects), began to thrash for a second, and the root/vine/string came loose and popped off. So he was released from the net. The net was never taken out of the water with him in it since it popped off immediately. The moment he was release it was apparent something was really wrong. He had almost immediate blackened discoloration of the top of his head/back extending to his dorsal fin. His posture was odd. His head arched back toward his dorsal fin. And now he is heavily breathing and seems to be struggling to swim.

I don't know if in his brief freak out he broke his back??? I don't know if he is just bruised as I don't know if fish can really bruise to the point of visibility? He is still attempting to swim around the tank and is not hiding. But his breathing is still heavy and he is visibly struggling in his swim pattern.

Again any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! I love him and I would be devastated if I fatally injured him. I'm beside myself right now because my intentions were to help him! I am currently trying to figure out how to attach pictures to help with description.

Attachments

• goby.jpg
    goby.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 46
  • goby2.jpg
    goby2.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 48
  • goby4.jpg
    goby4.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 42
  • goby3.jpg
    goby3.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 46
Hookworms? Although I don't understand the discoloration on his back.
Maybe. I mean, I have't really treated this tank in a while since it has been stable for some time now. Although he really has been perfect until I netted him. I feel like when he had his mini freak out in the net he pulled a muscle, gave himself a herniated disk, or something! It just happened within seconds after releasing him. I checked on him recently and he seems to be a little better. The discoloration has gotten lighter. His breathing isn't as heavy. And his swimming seems to be a little better. I'll play the waiting game for now since significant improvement has been noted within 6 hours. I don't want to stress him more since stress could be what hurt him in the first place! Thank you for your response! I greatly appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom