KNO3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
If I use stump killer (KNO3) to dose nitrates, does the potassium also become usable to the plants ? Does potassium need to be in some sort of ratio to any other fert to avoid algae ?

Yes. No. :)

The potassium in stump killer will most definately be usable by plants. It's a nice freebee when using that chemical for nitrAte dosing.

Potassium is possibly the one fert we can dose without fear of causing algae or other problems. There have been some sites that say that excess levels of potassium can cause calcium deficiency in very low GH tanks. I don't think this is really a factor unless you have no calcium in the tank or do very infrequent PWC's. Now don't dump 1/2 lb in your tank, but you can safely dose anywhere from 10-100ppm.

I personally try to keep my potassium level above 30ppm so I am sure it is never the cause of a deficiency. At a 50% PWC, I dose 20ppm (tank level) of potassium, and then every other day dose another 10-20ppm.

LOL ok, so the answer is yes but probably not enough - got it. Guess I'll be buying some nosalt or some potassium. thanks

That article was quite helpful - thanks for posting it. Long answer short - I probably don't need extra K+ in the puffer tank (low bioload and dosing KNO3) but probably do need some in the 29G where I'm not dosing KNO3.

Back
Top Bottom