Kribensis compatibilty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gawang

Aquarium Advice Activist
Recently have acquired four Kribensis cichlids and am wondering their compatibility with tetras and medium sized south american cichlids? I currently have them in quarantine.

Mine get on really well with tetras, balloon mollies and platys.

I've kept Kribs in a community tank, and they did fine. They are bottom 1/3 dwellers, like some kind of hide to call home, and will defend it from other bottom dwellers (especially if they're a breeding pair), so it's best not to have them in a smaller tank. If there's not enough room for the other fish to keep a reasonable distance, they will stress out from constantly chasing everyone else away..... They like their space, otherwise they're very peaceful.

Phranque said:
I've kept Kribs in a community tank, and they did fine. They are bottom 1/3 dwellers, like some kind of hide to call home, and will defend it from other bottom dwellers (especially if they're a breeding pair), so it's best not to have them in a smaller tank. If there's not enough room for the other fish to keep a reasonable distance, they will stress out from constantly chasing everyone else away..... They like their space, otherwise they're very peaceful.

This sounds about right, not to mention you just described my Rams behavior. I think that is across the board for these dwarf cichlids.

The tank they will most likely go into is a 36 gallon bowfront. It is moderately planted with tons of caves and caverns on the bottom. However, I do have a juvenile green Severum that is about 4 inches. She will probably be moved once she gets to be about 6 to my 50 gallon.

The tank they will most likely go into is a 36 gallon bowfront. It is moderately planted with tons of caves and caverns on the bottom.

Your Kribs will love you..... (y)

I do have a juvenile green Severum that is about 4 inches. She will probably be moved once she gets to be about 6 to my 50 gallon.

If it were me, I'd get her into the 50 sooner rather than later. That's a bit large of a fish for a 36g community.

If it were me, I'd get her into the 50 sooner rather than later. That's a bit large of a fish for a 36g community.

Unfortunately, I'd love to do that. But the 50 is in my room and my mother wants to hold onto watching her favorite fish as long as possible. So I'm humouring her.

Back
Top Bottom