Kyle's 36 gallon bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylefight11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, I've got my tank up and running again after columnaris and neglect from my fish sitter over the summer killed all of my fish, and I believe adversity can be an opportunity in disguise. The tank is doing better than ever! I've already had buenos aires tetras that were in the tank for less than 24 hours spawn. (I took them back because they were ripping up my not yet rooted plants with their mating behavior.) The fry were only noticed almost a week later and transferred to my 5 gallon quarantine tank.

Currently the tank is stocked with 11 bloodfin tetras, 5 false Julii corys, and one Julii cory (I thought I was getting 6 Juliis at the time). I was worried about the lone Julii but he seems quite happy to school with the others.

As for plants I have some bacopa, S. Repens, C. Wendtii, 2 kinds of anubias (congensis and barteri I believe), 2 rosette swords (I don't thing one will make it, it melted down to 2 tiny leaves after I sterilized it with a salt bath) and some water sprite.

And now for the pictures:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441775266.629116.jpg
Overall view from the front

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441775327.749110.jpg
Five of the corys schooling, the true Julii is the one front left

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441775422.280982.jpg
View from the left side

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441775512.748996.jpg
View from the right side

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441775568.164812.jpg
The Cory that was not in the school pictured above

Two of the bloodfins appear to be gravid and the males keep courting and fighting over them, very interesting to watch.

To finish out the stocking I plan on getting 6 Celebes rainbowfish

Water Parameters for this tank are:
Ph ~8.2 maybe 8.1
Am 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Gh 0 (household water softener)
Kh 13
Temp between 76-78 degrees F

So what do you guys think?
Any comments or suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's nice. Have you considered a taller sword for the background? It would break up the space a little more. A nice tiger lotus would look awesome as well. Great corys!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not sure where I would put a large sword maybe In the back left corner Growing up around the driftwood? Or maybe a Lilly would work better there.

I'm not sure where I would put a large sword maybe In the back left corner Growing up around the driftwood? Or maybe a Lilly would work better there.

Sorry I'm always mixing up Lilly and lotus. Ugh

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry it's been so long without any updates but here you go.
I lost 2 bloodfins and one false julii to what I believe is osmotic shock after I accidentally did a 75% water change because I was distracted by pruning. The rest seem to be doing fine. I have added Amazon sword in the back left corner, some Java moss, and a Java fern. I think I have some sort of nutrient deficiency but I'm not sure what. Would you be able to tell what it is from the pictures? It is most visible in the crypts and the rosette sword. And possibly the water wisteria. If you need more or better pictures just let me know.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443895297.077447.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443895677.377204.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443895706.362981.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443895764.132720.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443895920.659954.jpg

Hello!

Do you use root tabs on the plants you are having issues with?

Also unless it was a big pH swing or temp swing I doubt a WC killed them.

Caleb

Yes all plants are within 6" of a root tab. I also add about 3 mg of flourish comprehensive after my weekly water change. As far as I can tell the rosette swords new leaves stay stunted to about half of the size of the original leaves with some wrinkling, while the older leaves are turning mottled yellow one by one. On the crypts growth has substantially slowed while older leaves are dying, what is most interesting is that when they die the form dark green stripes that I'm sure aren't algae. Also, I'm not sure if it's a problem or not but I thought that they should be growing taller. The leaves don't get more than 2" long or so while every website I've read says that they should get at least 6" and most sites say 8"-11".
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443976061.025460.jpg

About the water change, the tank water is softer than my tap water due to the peat filter. They were fine until I filled the tank back up, then within minutes showed severe signs of what appeared to be swim bladder issues (unable to stay upright, floating to the surface) then within half an hour after that they were dead. None of the other fish than the 3 that died showed any sign of a problem so I think they already had something wrong that made them more susceptible.

Back
Top Bottom