Labs really not growing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have posted about this before, but I am now becoming concerned. On February 15, I bought 3 very small Yellow Labs along with a Red Zebra of the same size. The labs all had concave bellies, but by two months they had a nice plump belly. Now approaching 5 months, the Zebra is about 3x the size of the labs. The labs are the same size since I bought them. I am afraid that the other fish are going to eat them before they get to grow, but what could their reason be for not getting any bigger?

*They are eating just as much as the others as well, and I see them poop brown stools.

Hmmm that is strange. My yellows grow like mad. I can't think of anything that you can do except continue to vary their diet and monitor them. Hopefully someone has better ideas than I am able to offer.

Maybe I am not feeding them enough variety? I feed them Cichlid Flakes in the AM, Spirulina in the PM. Then every two days instead of the Cichlid Flakes I give them frozen brine.

that's good.
i'm stumped too.
generally this points to internal parasites, but absence of white stringy poo derails that theory.
still, i'd suggest a course of a good ip med - geltek / pepso / etc etc.

I gave them bloodworms, I completely missed where you said the zebras would perish. Are any other fish going to be affected?

I have the same issue/problem Marconis. Its all my Malawians though...not just the Labs. I think its the diet and not feeding them enough (every other day) so I'm going to start feeding them every day. Mine have been slow growers since I got them though...so maybe they'll have a growth spurt soon.

With mbun, the amount of protein is not the issue, it's the type of protein you're giving them. They need something that is more easily digested (bloodworms aren't). You can give them shrimp, but worms are a no-no.

As far as the schedule is concerned, I feed everyday (sometimes twice a day). I also skip a day every so often to give them a chance to clean themselves out. They get a steady diet of NLS pellets and Omega One Super Kelp Veggie Flakes.

The three Yellow Labs could be all females; which tend to be smaller than the males. I have three Labs, and the two males are about 30-40% larger than the female. I just recently purchased three red Zebras and they are growing very fast; much faster than my three Labs did.

I feed them all NLS and occasionally Super Veggie Flakes.

yah females are smaller but he saidd they havenyt grown since he got them which is odd...but i have had this same problem with some of my yellows some grow like crazy and others havent could be genetics. but it would help to kno there size also some times they dont grow for about a year but mostly sooner try waiting it out but defiatly do the suggestions others have gave:) good luck hope this helps

Tricky thing to give africans protein is to watch out for that infamous bloat. I suggest anything under 43% crude protein would be fine! If you do feed them beefheart feed it no more then 3 time a week.

I suggest a good spirulina pellet. Spirulina is high in protein, minerals and it easy on fish's digestive track! You can also use liquid Vitamin supplements to soak there food so they get all their nutrients!

Back
Top Bottom