Lake Tanganyika Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michael15

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have been cycling another 21 gallon tank for about 2 months. In the time I've been watching a lot of videos on African cichlids but since my tank is only a 20 gallon I have had to limit my choices. I went towards the Lake Tanganyika cichlids because they all have a unique look. The probably is I don't know any small ones besides the Juilechromis, altolamprologus, Lamprologus shell dwellers, Telmatocrhomis, and a few of the Neolamprologus. I really don't want to go with the small shell dwellers that most people are familiar with Like the brevis, multifasciatus, and similis so if you all could help me out a little that would be great.

www.davesfish.com

Has some cool Lepidiolamprologus instock. A 20 gallon really limits you to Shellies unfortunately. Kylefreakgecko would be the best person to hit up about dwarf lake tang cichlids.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hmm those on the the list are pretty nice but something about the altolamprologus and the Juilechromis stands out.

Only altolamprologus you are fitting in there is a pair of sumbu 20g is very small for lake tangs...I breed only lake tangs and my smallest breeding tank is 45g breeder and that has shellies in it

I keep a small colony of neolamprologus multifasciatus in a 20 long with a pair of Spathodus erythrodon 'burundi' and its a pain to keep up really. I often have territory disputes and I've had to add at least 20-25 lbs of holey/base rock to keep some peace in there. I can't wait to upgrade them to a much larger tank

I have slowly started to give up the most of the other of the other tangs. But I like the possibility of having N. Brevis (or ocellatus gold) and julidochromis transcriptus living together if that could work.

The amount of work it's taken for me to get my shellies and gobies to work in a 20 long has been ridiculous. I wouldn't recommend both species in a tank that small, and instead, try one of the other. Julies can easily get picked on by shellies and vice versa if there's not enough rock work or shells, and even then, issues can arise easily

There's a long list of other shelldwelling species if you do the search. All of the species are always in demand when it comes time to thin their numbers the only hard part is getting them out of the tank minus their shell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There's a long list of other shelldwelling species if you do the search. All of the species are always in demand when it comes time to thin their numbers the only hard part is getting them out of the tank minus their shell.

I've been told to take a drinking glass and place it underwater upside down in an empty tank and place each shell one at a time on top of the glass (so actually the bottom of the glass). Supposedly the shellie will leave the shell and head to the bottom of the tank, as they don't like to be up high. Not sure if it works, haven't tried it.

I've been told to take a drinking glass and place it underwater upside down in an empty tank and place each shell one at a time on top of the glass (so actually the bottom of the glass). Supposedly the shellie will leave the shell and head to the bottom of the tank, as they don't like to be up high. Not sure if it works, haven't tried it.

Well that is a heck of an idea! I wish I would have heard of this when I was keeping shellies, It would have saved me hours of frustration.

I've never tried it....so no. Basically an empty aquarium (filled of course, but no decor), and you take an ordinary 8 oz drinking glass. Flip it upside down to the bottom faces up towards the ceiling. Place the shell with the fish inside right on top of the glass. The fish should swim out and down to the bottom of the tank, and won't swim back up as they don't like being up high

I've never tried it....so no. Basically an empty aquarium (filled of course, but no decor), and you take an ordinary 8 oz drinking glass. Flip it upside down to the bottom faces up towards the ceiling. Place the shell with the fish inside right on top of the glass. The fish should swim out and down to the bottom of the tank, and won't swim back up as they don't like being up high

When transferring the shell with fish inside also use a cup or container. Put the cup under water and move the shell into the cup. Never let the shell drain with the fish in the shell as air pocket can form and kill the shelly.

I just saw a video on the glass up thing. I have found some different shell dwellers that I really like and those are Neolamprologus boulengeri, Lamprologus signatus, Lamprologus kungweensis, lamprologus ornatipinnis, Neolamprologus calliurus (my favorite so far), Neolamprologus hecqui. are these as easy to breed as multis?

The signatus if you can find them are fantastic fish and by far my favorite, but the calliurus are my second. I never got the calliurus to successfully raise fry before I had to make room for all of the signatus fry.

Hecqui are actually lepidolamprogus and are pretty mean if I'm not mistaken. Many of your list features species you're going to have to hunt down. If only seen a few of your list in person.

http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/index.php/fish

"Lamprologus "brevis "Katabe" "Lamprologus "brevis "Kitumba"
"Lamprologus"brevis "Sunspot"
"Lamprologus "caudopunctatus "Red Fin"
"Lamprologus "multifasciatus
"Lamprologus "ocellatus "Gold"
"Lamprologus"speciosus "Black Ocellatus
"Lamprologus "stappersi "Pearly Ocellatus"
Lepidiolamprologus kendalli
Lepidiolamprologussp. "Meeli Kipili"