Large tank on smaller stand support question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know I've asked something similar before but I can't for the life of me find the original pos & replies - not entirely tech/app/NG savy.
I have a 37L x 13.5W stand built from angle iron that has been holding smaller (30g) tanks for years with no problem. I'd like to put a larger tank on top but as it is 18W I would have 5/8 peice of plywood centered underneath it to support the wider width. Is this going to be ok as *most* of the tank would actually be sitting on the stand with only 2.5" on either side only having the plywood base beneath.
1st pic is stand as it is now with a plywood insert to support current 30g
2nd pic is the bottom shelf just to show how current plywood is actually sitting IN the angle iron
20180515_135407.jpg20180515_135314.jpg

I would seal / use some hydrophobic coating on any plywood edges and wood. Not sure about the weight and spread of weight over the wood and stand to give a good opinion.

As a side note, I would keep looking for the correct size stand to be on the safe side. Even if the other was okay and a decent fix. So many places to find them like the Habitat Restore, Goodwill/Thrift, yard sales and local free ads.

Back
Top Bottom