largemouth bass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think that there is a easy way to sex male from female at a young age. The only ways that I know you can sex them by is when they are full grown but I will tell you them anyway.
1. Female usually bigger
2. Male builds and guards nest

There not big and in a 55 gallon tank

They will eat those cichlids once they are the sam size. 55 gallons is not even a third of what they need. I would suggest releasing them if they were wild caught, rehoming if tank raised.

This is my biggest tank till I'm finished building my 6 ft wood tank. Which is for the bass.

I've realed in bass where my crankbait is larger than the fish, trying to give you a heads up.

My crank baits are bigger.. I have had them since they were guppies ... caught them by mistake. Decided to keep them. My plywood tank will be 6x6 ft and about 36-48inches tall

My crank baits are bigger.. I have had them since they were guppies ... caught them by mistake. Decided to keep them. My plywood tank will be 6x6 ft and about 36-48inches tall

Well. That sounds like a fun build, that's over 800 gallons. Keep us in the loop.

I want it outside.. I got plywood but don't know whether to get acrylic or glass for display on front. And its going in a green house

Take a rock and a string, tie a credit card to the rock. Drop the rock and card in the water. The fish that swim to the card are your females.

Not to put a damper on this thread but keeping largemouth bass in most states in the U.S. is illegal or there is a size limit. Just saying, maybe this isn't a good thing to advertise you having them? ;)
BTW: unfortunately, you can't sex them when they are small. Keep watch for growth spurts tho. The faster growers are usually the females. (even without the credit cards. LOL )

A lot of states will not allow the release of wild caught fish due to the potential exposure they've had while in a tank. In Oklahoma there is no size restriction on large mouth, regardless, as soon as they're big enough I'd filet em and have a nice dinner. Them's some good eatin!

Those suckers are mean! They'll kill everything once they get big. My friend had 1 that he started in a 55g then he moved to a 125g, then finally a 265g. He couldn't keep anything with it but a 15" pleco and even then it would get picked on sometimes. He eventually released it cause it got too big for the 265.

Back
Top Bottom