Last Step! Questions before adding fish =)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phishhead46

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!

So my 37 gallon is 99% done with the fishless cycle and I started bringing down the heat and ammonia to get ready for fish. I have a couple of questions about what to do now:

-My main question is I added a filter cartrige and gravel from an established tank into my filter and tank itself. When can I take the substrate and cartrige out of the new tank?

-Also, what temperature is okay for the fish? (Can I stop the use of the heater? My house temperature is generaly around 73-75 degrees F.) would it kill my good bacteria?

-Should I let my ammonia run to 0.0 before I add the fish?

Thank you! :)
:fish2:

Well if you want to take the extras out of the tank go for it. It may also help you figure out if you have enough bb to handle what you are going to put in there.

Temperature of the tank has more to do with the type of fish you are stocking so I would need to know what you are stocking to answer that.

The final step in cycling is dose your tank back up to 4ppm. If in 24hrs you have 0 ammo, 0 nitrites and 5+nitrates your tank cycled. Do a massive 90% water change and then go get your fish!

Perfect! Thank you very much!

I just added ammonia, will check it later. I have very high nitrates above 40, which Im guessing will go away with the major water change. I have a small piece of panty hose which is what I used to hold the gravel. (Its a sand bottom tank). I had 2 small bags. I put one directly into my Fluval filter and one into the tank. I dont have toremove the one from the filter if you think it could harm the tank. I just didnt know if once I added fish it would get very dirty..

-As for temperature, I already have a couple guppies I want to add from my smaller tank, so I was going to go along with the community fish theme. (Basically anything at the big pet stores under tropical fish that look healthy and can go well together.)..If that helps.

-Also, my pH is a little high. It is currently at 7.8. I did a 40% water change not too long ago, which dropped it down (It was at 8.0 before that). Im figuring another water change will drop it down a tad more, but what should the pH be at? My tap water is a little on the hard side. But if the water change does not fix pH, what things can I do/use to help drop the pH?

Thank you for your help! =)

Well guppies can handle a pretty wide range of temperatures. Around 72-78 being ideal but they have been known to survive in temps as low as 60 and up to 90F. But the average for most tropicals is 75-80f. I would say leave the thermometer in. I have mine set to 75f and my fish seem very happy at that temp. The thermometer is always good to have in there to prevent temperature fluctuations.

I also wanted to add if you have guppies, no mollies. If you get swordtails no platys or visa versa. They can interbreed and I doubt you want hybrid fish your LFS won't take them and you'll have to figure out what to do with all of the babies as they grow. But you can do swords or platys with the guppies. They will mate but produce no viable offspring. Stay away from common plecos they get way to big for your tank Bristlenose plecos are fine just make sure you stock around them as they have a heavy bio load. Stay away from anything that says algae eater. If it's an oto they need a matured tank at least over 6months past cycling to build up a good biofilm for them, as for the rest they are usually some type of CAE or chinese algae eater and they get big and aggressive but the big box stores will tell you otherwise.
My best advice is to go to the store pick out what you want, write it down and then come home and research it's needs and compatablity with the rest of the fish on your list. Yes put anything and everything on the list that you like. There might be fish like I have previously stated need a mature tank, fish that are nippy, specifics in feeding, water parameters. Some fish like most livebearers like a higher PH and hard water and some like angels like a lower PH and soft mildly acidic. Just do your research before you buy the fish it will save you money and heartache with either having to replace a fish that has died or needs to be rehomed

Wow very good to know, thank you!! I have a small cory in my established tank, should I wait to add him until the biofilter is established?

Is the cory by itself? What type I suggest getting same or look alike to Go with him they do better in groups . My tank has guppies , dwarf gorami, cory cats and mystery snails( they like high ph)

Hes a spotted cory, hes the only cory. I have him in a tank with guppies. I would like to add him to the new 37 gallon tank and I will definitely add at least one more cory once I do. Does it matter what color cory? (like the panda cory?)

I would get at least two more spotted or something close to resemblance... My spotted hang with my juli some but they do best with own type

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom