Late to the introduction page

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieMomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't think I've ever done an introduction before, but I'm getting more active in the hobby again and thought I'd share.

I'm a teacher in New Jersey and have two tanks at home - a 55 gallon, black sand, partially planted, community tank stocked lightly, at the moment, with 8 albino Cories, 1 Blue Gourami, and a scattering of small fishies (3 neon tetras, 2 Rasboras, and three un-identified tetras. I just added the Cories a few days ago when I took out and re-homed a very aggressive pair of perpetually spawning, koi angelfish. Those shoaling fishies will get a bunch of friends over the next few weeks as my parameters adjust. I will also be moving over a mix of 5 swordtails, platys, and a molly, that are cramped I my 14 gallon. When I move the Platies and their filter media over to the new tank I will be adding a second Aquaclear 50 filter. I am still deciding on what to do with the 14 gallon after I do the move and reseed the tank. Probably Ender's Livebearers at this point.

I have multiple tanks to care for at my school. We have a 60 gallon hexagon that is currently empty with white sand on the bottom. I am going to exchange that for a dark color sand (possibly blue to coordinate with the school colors), wood, and lots of plants (fake as I can't afford to upgrade the lighting and I pay for most of the school aquarium expenses myself). The scheme for this is in a thread under getting started "school 60 gallon build".

I also care for the 14 gallon in the lower school science room I'll fill with nano species and live plants.

Finally, I have at least one, possibly two, 5 gallon tanks with Bettas to cycle and stock.

As you can see I have my hands full and since I am limited I funds this all may take awhile unless I can get the teachers to chip in for the costs. It's a private school with very limited funding also so they can't really contribute but I feel it's good for the kids.

I'll do pics of my home tanks in a few days. I'm on vacation at the moment. I always feed them well and err on the side of over feeding so the four days without food should be fine. Their lights are on timers. Although I have someone into check on and feed the cats, I didn't want to risk anything with my tanks including dirtying them more then necessary while I'm gone. I did a 75% PWC before I left so they should be good.

Back
Top Bottom