Lava Rock advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edward2788

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A friend brought me Lava rock from Hawaii and I was wondering if it's ok to place in my saltwater tank. Will it affect anything on my tank?

A friend brought me Lava rock from Hawaii and I was wondering if it's ok to place in my saltwater tank. Will it affect anything on my tank?
I've always been told that lava rock is bad and that corals won't live on the rock. Also I've heard where all livestock was lost due to the addition and some chemicals I can't remember the name of will leech out.

I thought lava rock was inert .. I have used red lava rock in my fresh water tanks for decades never had any issue
Lava rock can conatins metals. Therefore its already a risk to place it into your Marine aquarium. There is no way of knowing what it could potentially do. unless you have a way of testing wether it will leech and or has metals in it then i wouldn't risk it, especially with inverts or corals. Plus some people have said it tends to break down over time and crumble. This is just my research on other forum in a matter of a few minutes. There is plenty of reading material out there. Its just how bad do you want it in your tank? Enough to risk your livestock and the rest of you rock and sand becoming contaminated?

I currently own lava rock in my reef aquarium. It's completely harmless. I owned it since I first set up the tank and it hasn't harmed a thing.

Back
Top Bottom