Lazy Cory Catfish that do nothing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cecilree

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Firstly, I bought 2 cory catfish (2 weeks ago), they were labled "Robin's Cory Cat" but that seems to be an unusual name. They were bigger then I expected about three or more solid inches. I doubt they are diseased because they don't display any symptoms but lethargy. And they do have little rub marks on their mustached noses.

I want to know if there is anything to do about it, I thought corys were energetic friendly fish!

Tank Parameters: I dont have a testing kit, but it's cycled and disease free with filtration and a (automatic lame) heater.

10g tank that has been set up for 3/4 months.

I have 3 golden longfin danios happy and healthy and adorable, 2 small clown loaches 2 1/2 inches, and three zipper loaches.

I do a 10-40% water change twice a week.

Decor: Half sand half gravel, plants, a big rock, and a hidey hole barrel decoration.

*****I did have a bigger castle decoration with a hallow inside but my corry cats hid ALL DAY and my loaches most of the time so like a mean fish mommy I took it out. Now they just lay around on the bottom or in a corner, always together (corrys).

Food: Pellets (shrimp and fish main ingredients)
Pieces of algae wafer for my loaches
A bit of flakes for my danios.

Thanks for your time, Do you know other common names for this breed or corry? Is there something needed for them to be active??????

Attachments

• IMG_3379[1].jpg
    IMG_3379[1].jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 143
They're probably just insecure because there's only two of them. You only get to see their real personalities when you have a few together.

Yes, usually you need atleast three and they become very active.

Hmm.. So its impossible for me to get another cory of the same species, and I'm already pushing it with the amount of fish I have in my ten. What if I got one or MAYBE two peppered cories about the same large size? Don't they segregate by coloring?? Anyone have success?

To answer another question, it's also known as Bannertail Corydoras or Mrs Schwartz's Cory. It's not incredibly common it would seem. The scientific name is Corydoras robinae.

Also, I hope you're planning on an upgrade soon. That tank is too small for most, if not all of those and it's definitely overstocked. Their growth will be stunted and they will get very stressed as they get older which can lead to illness and/or death. I don't mean to nag I just hope you have a plan for their future.

Oh yes I will upgrade in a few years.. How can I resist? And I have no choice because my Clowns will get huge. So my plan now is to trade 1 zipper loach for two small Albino Corys from my friend, maybe it will help.. We'll see. :)

Oh yes I will upgrade in a few years.. How can I resist? And I have no choice because my Clowns will get huge. So my plan now is to trade 1 zipper loach for two small Albino Corys from my friend, maybe it will help.. We'll see. :)

Typo? Months, surely.

Agreed. It will have to happen pretty soon if you want them to be healthy or even survive.

With an overstocked tank you'll want to keept up with plenty of water changes which you're planning on, to keep ammonia and such to a good level but I'm sure they'll be fine. I kept my cory catfish along with other fish in a 3g for a long while before upgrading them to a 25 and they're perfectly healthy with no problems.

I have the same issue with my peppereds. They like to hang out in their cave most of the day but in the mornings and evenings they are energetic as can be.

Corydoras are nocturnal, so they sleep during the day which is why you see the low activity level.
They also are schooling fish so they need atleast 1 more to feel secure (preferably no less than 4 total in a school).
They need places to hide or else you will just stress them out even more than they already are from not being in a proper school and being in an overstocked tank.

Honestly, they may even be hanging out on the bottom only because they know they dont have much room to excersize so why bother?

I really think that you should upgrade your tank and add more decorations ASAP if you want your fish to truly thrive.

You potentially have ~48 inches (adult sizes) of fish provided they have the space and water quality. Without room their growth will be started and it can cause problems. The water will be harder and harder to keep clean the bigger they get. You need to upgrade as soon as you can if you want them all to stay healthy.

It's the clown loaches that concern me- they can't be in that tank for years. You'll get away with it for a while, but your going to find it difficult to avoid sickness in that tank. In the meantime, try to do big water changes 2-3 times a week, that will help.

My big corries are becoming more active hooray! Just needed adjustment. My plants are really benefiting from the influx of fish too.

Back
Top Bottom