Learned Something After 50 Years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magaratz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I’ve been in the hobby a long time, and I guess I got too comfortable. I do my weekly water change using 5 gallon Lowe’s plastic buckets. As I began filling the second bucket up with tank water, I noticed some water on the floor, then A LOT of water on the floor. The second bucket had broken open in the bottom center with about a 4” gash, almost like I took a knife and plunged it into the bottom. I’ve always worried about the handles coming loose so I keep water levels to no more than two gallons. In the future, I’ll inspect them each time by holding the bottom toward a light source to see if there’s any weakness or failure in the plastic. I store them in a basement which is a constant 62 degrees and not near any heat source and no pets or children in the house. I guess buyer be ware on every product these days.

That happened to me TWICE. I used to pump water out of the tank in to a grow bucket. Felt my socks going warm and noticed there was a big spit in it. Cleaned it all up and threw the grow bucket in the back yard.

A couple of months later I needed another grow bucket for changing water. Forgot why that one was in the yard so I uses it again. Warm socks again [emoji23]

That happened to me TWICE. I used to pump water out of the tank in to a grow bucket. Felt my socks going warm and noticed there was a big spit in it. Cleaned it all up and threw the grow bucket in the back yard.

A couple of months later I needed another grow bucket for changing water. Forgot why that one was in the yard so I uses it again. Warm socks again [emoji23]

Sorry to be laughing about this. But I have done similar. Fortunately first time next to the bathtub on tile later outside. Great for rinsing rocks, or holding sticks of wood or brooms and rakes/ shovels in the shed.

Sorry to be laughing about this. But I have done similar. Fortunately first time next to the bathtub on tile later outside. Great for rinsing rocks, or holding sticks of wood or brooms and rakes/ shovels in the shed.

Haha I know I know. I had about 4 of them. Made filling and emptying the 2 x 50 gal I had at the time a breeze.

Back
Top Bottom