Learning the hard way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BASH2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been trying to successfully establish a planted Discus tank for over a year now. My first attempt failed when I could not control the algae. I recently started over using a 60gal glass tank with Eco Complete as the substrate. I currently have 7 fairly large plants in the tank. I started with a simple LED bar light, however I recently purchased an amazing Kessil Tuna Sun. I am using Seachem Flourish for CO2. After about a week I am starting to see some algae on the glass and on the leaves of my plants. Most of it is red algae but some of it on the glass is green. I would welcome any advise about how best to proceed.

Thanks for reading and sharing your experience

Seachem flourish is a fert..Are you using ferts on the tank?
Excell is the carbon source,which really is not CO2...
How much water do you change how often?
How high up is the tuna turned [ %] ?
And what plants do you keep?Large could still be a sword plant that does not need a kessil tuna to grow [way too much light IMO]..
Without completely balancing ferts ,CO2 and lighting there will be algae!

I learned some the best stuff I know the hard way ! :dance:
Well the stuff I still remember...:nono:

Thanks for the reply
I am using both Flourish and Flourish Excell. I have done one 10 gal water change (removed 10gal and replaced) and have probably put 10 more in to replace evaporated water. Two of my 7 plants are swords, not really sure about the rest. Could you recommend a good ID source (book or web site)? I stared with the Kessil just barely on, maybe 20%. Where can I find light requirement for different plant? I have had the most trouble with the swords; the leaves just deteriate. I thought this deteriation of plant material was part of my algae problem. I understand the Excell is not CO2 but does provide bio available carbon (right on the bottle, I'm not that smart). I have a second 30gal with a CO2 injection system on it. I wanted to see the difference before I spent the $600. I have discontinued the Kessil for now. Thanks for the UTube links.

Purchased a book written by Peter Hiscock (unfortunate last name) Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants. I did not realize water movement hampers nutrient uptake in plants. Disconnected my large air pump which was running 3 different air stones and reduced water temp. Also learned my favorite plants (Anubias) prefer to be above substrate. Daddy always said Some people live and learn, and some people just live. Trying to learn.:fish2::fish2:

Purchased a book written by Peter Hiscock (unfortunate last name) Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants. I did not realize water movement hampers nutrient uptake in plants. Disconnected my large air pump which was running 3 different air stones and reduced water temp. Also learned my favorite plants (Anubias) prefer to be above substrate. Daddy always said Some people live and learn, and some people just live. Trying to learn.:fish2::fish2:

Glad to hear you've found some good pointers, if you need any help feel free to ask here. People here have a huge source of knowledge and will be able to answer just about any question you throw at them [emoji106]

If you post pictures of your individual plants we can help with the ID's

Thanks for the reply
I am uncertain about the first two plants from the left. Both are doing well but I am unsure about light requirement. They both seem to prefer moderate light. The one on the far left has some brown/red algae; is that cause for concern?

Left one is hygrophila difformes? I think? 2 Amazon swords and 1 crypt wendtii green.

Not sure on the little bushy one? Maybe crypt parva?

Back
Top Bottom