Least Aggressive Trigger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawfishjunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im setting up a 65 gallon with Live Rock. I`m a little confused---Triggers are not considered Reef-Compatible. Are they FOWLR compatible?
I`d like to keep just 1 trigger in there. My favorite is the Huma Huma.
What is the Least-Aggressive Trigger? Is there a type that wont obliterate every crustacean in a tank?
thanks again

I would go with a Niger trigger. I did have a Bursa trigger at one point and ended up taking him back after three months because he was just causing too many problems. The Niger is much more laid back and really doesn't bother anyone unless they bother him first.

Blue throat is said to be one of the safest reef-safe triggers. There's also the cross hatched but they are far and few of these in your LFS. They are also very expensive.

I would second the Niger Triggers. Picasso's (huma) can be very aggressive. You have hit the proverbial nail on the head with your question on clean up crews and aggressive tanks. It is a tough situation. I put snails and crabs in my predator tank and realize that I will be replacing them more often than if they were in my reef tank. Usually serpent stars are left alone..they go after shelled creatures more often than not.

thanks for replies.

Well, in an imperfect world people do imperfect things. Im glad Im not the only person with desires to circumvent the laws of nature by wanting Triggers and Crabs in the same tank. We want the fun stuff together and sometimes pay the price. :)

Is there a compatability chart for Triggers and inverts? Can some be mildly trusted together?

Hi jawfish...
everyone is going to send me PM's for this one but..

My bf just added a niger trigger to our 80 gallon tank.

In it I have a maroon clown, majestic angelfish, royal gramma, firefish. clean up snails and two brittle starfish. (I also have 3 damsels that I am not counting because daily I try to catch them to take them back) If my bioload is too big I will take back the firefish and royal gramma.

Now my niger is a baby but he hasn't bothered anyone. One of the damsels did some tail lashing on him when he first entered the tank. I did have a snail dead today. Do they kill inverts?

I havent heard about what triggers can do to an aquarium, like eating things, moving things, etc. What do you know?

Yes, triggers will eat almost all, if not all, of your inverts. I'd take back your brittle stars ASAP or that will be a nice lunch for it one day. It may not harass your other fish right now but give it time to get a little bit bigger and it may start running the tank. Keep a real close eye on your water perameters because they will start to go up soon.

Darn. Well I told my bf that if his fish eats anything, back he goes. I already had to take back a large hermit that ate 20 snails, shrimp, emerald crab etc. I can't really see my inverts because my tank is in a wall and I have to stand on a chair to get to it..but I do like their cleaning abilities.

I checked my water today, everything was perfect and did a PWC just in case.

Yeah, trigger is an aggressive eater. He literally 'pushes' the other fish out of the way! And he's just a baby! Oh no..

Back
Top Bottom