Let me get this straight...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinjaNomad196

Aquarium Advice Freak
All of you are fish experts (well most of you), right? Well most of you said your good stocked tank is like sometimes 200% full according to AQAdvisor or silly stuff like that. Well, does that mean my 97% full is really not even that full:
10 Gallons:
2x Platy
2x Guppies
2x Dwarf Mollies
1x Pearl Gourami

I thought this was well overstocked.... but I'm assuming to add more? BY THE WAY I DIDN'T GET THIS TANK YET, I WON'T UNTIL I KNOW IT'S GOOD STOCKING!

All of you are fish experts (well most of you), right? Well most of you said your good stocked tank is like sometimes 200% full according to AQAdvisor or silly stuff like that. Well, does that mean my 97% full is really not even that full:
10 Gallons:
2x Platy
2x Guppies
2x Dwarf Mollies
1x Pearl Gourami

I thought this was well overstocked.... but I'm assuming to add more? BY THE WAY I DIDN'T GET THIS TANK YET, I WON'T UNTIL I KNOW IT'S GOOD STOCKING!

I'm sure most people can get away with that much stock because the fish generally have alot more swimming room, since the tanks that are "200%" full are pretty big to begin with. the bioload isn't as much an issue, because you can always add more filtration.

Believe it or not I have no experience with any of those fish, so I can't help with their requirements.

Few of us truly claim to be "experts" but most of us have a fair amount of experience. We share what we have tried and found to work. We share our experiences and share the story of our tanks, and share in the story of others tanks. I have found aqadviser to be very good at a starting point. They assume unless otherwise stated that the fish you have in th tank are full size adult fish. I also find it to be very conservative. For that reason I only use it for a general reference, and I majorly over filter my tanks. A 200% stocked tank is ok, it looks nice with lots of fish, but it requires lots of work to keep up with the nitrogen cycle. Often it requires more care and more time than the beginner aquarium has. I think that ten gallons with the stocking you list looks skimpy, but that is me. I like seeing lots of fish at one time! Stock as heavy as you like, but be prepared for lots of water changes.

Sure, it goofing really need a black light to look cool, and the other fish need natural light. I would rather suggest doing a couple more platy of a different color maintaining a4:1 female to male ratio. Or add some neon tetras 5-6 or 2-3red minor tetras would look good in that tank

That would look nice, but the Pygmy cories are not like the larger corydoras in that they will keep your substrate clean, they like to shoal in mid water. Do a min of 4 but you can do up to ten or more and they will behave more naturally. If you go with that many, (10) I would go with your original stocking minus the gourami

I think that the following would look very nice.
10 Gallons:
2x Platy (colorful and different color than the mollies)
4x Guppies ( fancy)
2x Dwarf Mollies( a different color than the platys)
6x Pygmy cories ( silver)

I would not stock those fish in a 10G.

The listed sticking would be about 170% stocked so you would want to do 50% water changes weekly at a min, but check your levels twice a week to keep track of it until it is consistent. A well planted tank would also keep your nitrate down.

10 Gallons:
2x Platy
2x Guppies
2x Dwarf Mollies
1x Pearl Gourami

Since you asked so nice........

3 of each of those 3 livebearers and 5 pygmy cories hmm?? Can only use fake plants and decor btw... :(... it told me this would be a little over 100% and 46% water change weekly...

I would not stock those fish in a 10G.
Me either.

Aqadviser is a fun toy and can be a good starting point but I wouldn't take it as gospel.

Mollies are too large and so is the gourami. A pair of platys or a trio of guppies along with a school of small tetras or rasboras would max out a 10g IMO.

I can't see any other fish than a Betta in a 10 gallon, but it just me. Why not getting a 20 gallon long. It gives you more swimming room and stocking options ( quantity).

*it is just me*
{mod edit} phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just remember to cycle the tank before you purchase the fish, and introduce them to the tank slowly- a couple at a time every couple of weeks. It will require a lot of patience, but won't take as long as fixing a tank that has crashed, and treating sick and dying fish.

I don't have any opinion on your proposed stock, but suggest you get all male livebearers. :cheers:

I would not do the Gourami in a 10 gal..they require at MIN 30 Gal....it will get to about 4-5 inches and territory will be an issue....possible death(killing)/attacks may happen.

Like in your other threads i would take the advice people gave to you with going with either a couple of platies...or a couple of mollies and maybe a couple of guppies.

People are able to over stock a tank but that is because they are using a much larger tank (generally from my reading something over 50 ish gallons...using more than one filter(or using a filter that is rated for a much bigger tank volume) checking the water religiously and doing water changes...and having live plants to help with SOME of the toxins that plants will consume.

aqadvisor is just a guideline it is not correct. use it as a base to figure out what would make good tank mates and to help you figure out water changes and what not.

Back
Top Bottom