Lethargic Albino Cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bensmom2000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purchased 2 albino cory catfish who are currently living in my 3.5 gallon qt tank. They have been in there for about a week. I have one that is extremely active and is always swimming around digging for food, and the other barely moves at all. It does swim around occasionally and doesn't seem to struggle when it does, but it is usually just sitting at the bottom of the tank not moving.

I read that cories can be inactive when they are lonely or don't have enough space. I plan on getting at least two more, but I wanted to introduce them slowly to my main tank (20 gal) since it currently only houses my male betta. I wanted to introduce them tomorrow, but I worry that the inactive cory is sick. It doesn't have any discolouration and isn't showing any other signs of sickness, so I am hoping it is ok. I also treated them with API general cure when I first got them, so I'm assuming it's nothing, I just wanted to get some more experienced insight. If the reason for the inactivity is tank size and/or loneliness, I want to get them into the main tank asap so they can have more space and I can get them more friends! But if the reason is a disease of some sort, I don't want to expose my betta to it :(

Thoughts?

That behavior sounds like he could be sick. If there are 2 fish there wouldn't be an issue at this point for being lonely.

A QT tank is usually good to hold a fish 10-21 days, and true most people do not hold them that long. But illness can take 2 weeks to show up. In addition, treating a fish in a QT tank or catching him if he's ill, is much easier in QT.

Personally I try and keep them in QT a minimum of 2 weeks if they are all looking healthy. Indefinitely if they are not looking good.

*****Check the temperature, the water parameters. Un-cycled QT needs pwc's every other day (maybe even every day), or 3rd day at least.

Of course having a fresh supply of perfect water can make the fish's life better.

One important thing about keeping QT water in tip top quality, is it allows the fish to settle down, not have to use it's energy for dealing with toxic water, and fight off the other stuff which it might have had to deal with as a result of transportation, various different conditions like pH , off temperatures, toxic ammonia in the transport bag.

In the pet store, bright lighting all day long and lack of safety, and places to hide. Fish being scooped out every 20 minutes and being chased by the net... Hard life for a little fish.

Give him time. The general cure / medication in general is hard on their systems too.

I hope he gets better soon. One additional option is using Epsom salts (which is not really salt but magnesium) to help him. It will not hurt him.

Info thread here if you are interested in ES.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/using-epsom-salt-in-fish-therapy-374191.html#post3548383

Back
Top Bottom