Let's see your shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will try again for pics later. Mine were sold as all brigattae and they have some in a display tank from the same supplier that are a stunning red but I am wondering if they are all brigattae. They have the right pattern on some and have that blue sheen over the black. Mine do hide in the plants a lot so it is hard to get good pics on top of them being so small and quick

From the pics they almost remind me of dwarf amber barbs. I found this article to be helpful: Which boraras do you really have? A pictorial guide to the most common species | Invertebrates by Msjinkzd

This is one of my maculatus:

img_3191371_0_ff94ab561db9ee3e7e515b628d5b0bf9.jpg

Dwarf amber barb:

img_3191371_1_4a470f69a5f0fa30c8a409238a826e8b.jpg

Although thinking about it and looking at your pics again maybe you have B. uropthalmoides? Would be so much easier if they'd just keep still for pics :)

Orange sakura decided to try zucchini yesterday. Funny thing is the shrimp scared away all the silly fish that had been trying to eat it!

img_3192423_0_ed7db0afd448671e633457addeead080.jpg

Orange sakura decided to try zucchini yesterday. Funny thing is the shrimp scared away all the silly fish that had been trying to eat it!

img_3192428_0_ed7db0afd448671e633457addeead080.jpg

Did the snails pickup on the zucchini? Mine will completely form a shell (no pun) around the zucchini. To the point where the shrimp have to fight for feeding space.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks so much! Does anyone by chance know what grade my shrimp might be?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Varying degrees...but medium.

The carapace on the front one is really nice, but since the legs are clear/whitish and not red, a mid quality, possibly a cull from Painted Fire Red (PFR) - Medium grade,

The other two, middle has some color lightness in the body so maybe medium - Fire Red.

The back one is really interesting to me because I have some that were like that and now am getting some Chocolate Cherries from them.
60074-albums9764-picture67590.jpg

60074-albums9764-picture67592.jpg

60074-albums9764-picture67594.jpg

I am a little stringent. The grading can describe color and color saturation and whether or not the carapace is sheer or solid and opaque, and the legs as well.

A few years ago a Sakura was a solid shell opaque completely red, red legs, and PFR was completely solid and a red to deeper reddish less orange-y completely red, including legs. A regular Cherry Shrimp was pretty much anything which had red in the shell and clear to white legs.

The grades are somewhat subject to interpretation and on some people's part hope, lol. Males are less brilliant of course and so the grade is mainly based on the females.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom