Lets settle a dispute, shall we?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Me and my brother have a 40 gallon planted tank. Our bottom strata of the tank is stocked with one 4" featherfin catfish and one 6" peacock eel. Now i would like to add 3 otos to the tank, and my brother wants to add a bristlenose pleco. I disagree saying that the otos are the only things that might fit. Can we settle this dispute?

Ok i am his brother and this is MY side of the story. The feather fin is not 4" hes 3.5. Also the bn pleco gets about 4" and 3-4 ottos would take up the same space! Also ottos are very fragils an need to be kept in bigger groups? Correct me if i am wrong on that, but i dont think ottos would thrive in our tank.

Gboy66 said:
Me and my brother have a 40 gallon planted tank. Our bottom strata of the tank is stocked with one 4" featherfin catfish and one 6" peacock eel. Now i would like to add 3 otos to the tank, and my brother wants to add a bristlenose pleco. I disagree saying that the otos are the only things that might fit. Can we settle this dispute?
I think the ottos are a better choice. They are smaller and can be on sides of the tank, so it isn't "overstocking the bottom strata"
Nu-Nu the eel said:
Ok i am his brother and this is MY side of the story. The feather fin is not 4" hes 3.5. Also the bn pleco gets about 4" and 3-4 ottos would take up the same space! Also ottos are very fragils an need to be kept in bigger groups? Correct me if i am wrong on that, but i dont think ottos would thrive in our tank.

LOL half an inch is not much at all, it doesn't open up a spot for the pleco. The featherfin could get bigger, and that would cause issues. The ottos are friendlier and are more flexible as to what part of the tank they live in.

I dont like ottos though. They seem too fragile and dont they need to be in groups to be happy?

Thankyou max for hitting it spot on.
Gboy Nu-nu
------ ---------
1 point 0 points

:D

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I dont like ottos though. They seem too fragile and dont they need to be in groups to be happy?

Groups of 3 or more. They aren't very fragile, but if they don't have enough algae to eat they may starve. Tank bred ones tend to be hardier. If there isn't enough algae you can use sinking pellets like algae wafers.

Oh heck algea is something we have tons of. Will 3 really clean the whole tank? Even the rocks, gravel, walls etc?

Gboy66 said:
Thankyou max for hitting it spot on.
Gboy Nu-nu
------ ---------
1 point 0 points

:D

LOL! Neither option wouldn't ruin the tank though, it may just be somewhat overstocked... there are some other options too, I am not familiar with all of them though.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Oh heck algea is something we have tons of. Will 3 really clean the whole tank? Even the rocks, gravel, walls etc?

Not necessarily the whole tank, it depends on how much they can eat! I have two nerite snails in my ten gallon that had a diatom outbreak, and after a day of the snails in there, poof! The diatoms were gone! Lol
Most of my algae was on the rocks and decorations and gravel. If a snail can do it, an otto can! There are other ways to get rid of algae too

maxwellag said:
LOL! Neither option wouldn't ruin the tank though, it may just be somewhat overstocked... there are some other options too, I am not familiar with all of them though.

Im still winning tough :D And these are the only two options that were really interested in, or, I am interested in haha

Haha okay i still am not sold on ottos because they dont look cool at all. Haha i no good argument right.

Well, I'm going to have to give you both 0 points.... I don't thing you should add either one. Considering the Featherfin can reach 6"-8", the Peacock can reach 6", and both can be territorial. This will stress small Otos, and a BN can hit 5"-8" as well, which, all 3 combined, will be too much for your 40 gal.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha okay i still am not sold on ottos because they dont look cool at all. Haha i no good argument right.

There are other alternatives to algae eating creatures. You guys could get a bunch of nerite snails, and that would settle the dispute ...

Phranque said:
Well, I'm going to have to give you both 0 points.... I don't thing you should add either one. Considering the Featherfin can reach 6"-8", the Peacock can reach 6", and both can be territorial. This will stress small Otos, and a BN can hit 5"-8" as well, which will be too much for your 40 gal.

Oh, I didn't realize the featherfins got that big... in that case, neither. Sorry, i havent really heard of them before. They arent available in my region for some reason...
Maybe some nerite snails or amano shrimp if you want algae control.

Phranque said:
Well, I'm going to have to give you both 0 points.... I don't thing you should add either one. Considering the Featherfin can reach 6"-8", the Peacock can reach 6", and both can be territorial. This will stress small Otos, and a BN can hit 5"-8" as well, which, all 3 combined, will be too much for your 40 gal.

If the featherfin EVER reaches 6-7", he will probably be given away. I agree that is too big.

Gboy66 said:
If the featherfin EVER reaches 6-7", he will probably be given away. I agree that is too big.

Well if you are too impatient, give it away now! :) then you could add more fish

maxwellag said:
Well if you are too impatient, give it away now! :) then you could add more fish

Lol i would never be able to catch him hahah

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Has a bn pleco ever reached 8"? If so thats crazy big and very rare for that fish

My lfs had a two foot long one a while back, though I think it was a mutant... xD

Gboy66 said:
Lol i would never be able to catch him hahah

Oh... then drain the tank and remove hiding places, so he has about a fourth of the water (when the tank is full) to swim in, and hopefully it will be easier....
Although, that does seem like a TON of work to catch a fish in a tank, doesn't it? Lol

Back
Top Bottom