Let's take a poll: How many members here eat fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aren't all the groups "extremists"?? I agree with almost all of them, I just dont go overboard. Anyways off topic, thx for the explanation :)

Not to go too far off topic, but one time I asked on a site if there was a such thing as "a humane, non vegan diet". I got interested after seeing an article on how they treat chickens in major egg farms. I was hoping for particular brands that were certified organic, free range, cage free, etc... Instead what I got was a bunch of PETA people screaming at me that eating any animal product is murder and that I was a horrible person. I told them humans have canine teeth for a reason. Millions of years of evolution can't be wrong in my opinion.

eco23 said:
Not to go too far off topic, but one time I asked on a site if there was a such thing as "a humane, non vegan diet". I got interested after seeing an article on how they treat chickens in major egg farms. I was hoping for particular brands that were certified organic, free range, cage free, etc... Instead what I got was a bunch of PETA people screaming at me that nearing any animal product is murder and that I was a horrible person. I told them humans have canine teeth for a reason. Millions of years of evolution can't be wrong in my opinion.

Well said!!

I give PETA supporters a flyer from a growing concern called PETOPAV (People for the ethical treatment of plants and vegetables). Bwahahaha :p.

Or I Just tell them plants have feelings too.

Sorry for the OT post, but they drive me nuts.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

So we're at 26 For, 4 Against. Still nobody that doesn't eat it based on the fact that they have an aquarium. I'm actually shocked. For some reason I thought it was going to be like asking a PETA forum if they eat meat :)
Well then I guess I'll be your first. I'm not a member of PETA and never will be. I don't agree with their tactics or politics.
I am a vegetarian and have been one for almost 30 years. It was for health reasons that I stopped eating meat. But I could still eat fish on occasion.
Then we started keeping fish. It never occurred to me that it would ever make a difference one way or the other.
My daughter and grandson both eat meat, but they too have stopped eating fish.
It didn't happen all at once. It kind of snuck in that it really bothered us to eat something that we have at home with a name. I wouldn't eat a dog or a cat even if I did eat meat, nor would I ever eat rabbit ( I've had pet rabbits in the past).
Anyway, one day about 2 years after we started keeping fish my daughter and I were talking while watching the fish swim around and all the silly things they do. When my daughter mentions that there would be no way she could ever eat a fish again. Which is when I realized, without thinking about it, I had stopped eating fish 2 years before.
It's been almost 7 years and no one in our house eats fish, or dogs or cats or bunnies or frogs or etc.etc.etc
So here are 3 people for your poll :wave: that have stopped fish eating because of fish keeping.

Love fish, Love to stare a them in the tank, love to catch them in the lake, river and ocean, no problems cleaning them, and Havent met one I dont like to eat as long as its cooked :) trout, salmon, halibut, octapus, shrimp, prawn, oysters, crab, mmmmm now im hungry :)

as for pets, we've had a snake, found it in the yard, 1 daughter wanted to keep it, snake escaped, even with a lid?! found it 3 hrs later, phew..... finally convinced daughter to let it go back outside 2 wks later. We have dogs and cats and fish obviously... we had rats, hamsters, hedgehogs, chinchillas, snakes, frogs, ...... I feel like a pet store, LOL!
At the start of your post, I'm sorry, but you sound a lot like doctor Sues.

Okay, so we're at 29 for and 5 against ( with 4 because they don't like the taste and 1 due to the family pet connection). Unfortunately I can't count your family members, as I think if we all started doing that it would really tilt the scales in the other direction :)

WendiDell said:
At the start of your post, I'm sorry, but you sound a lot like doctor Sues.

Lol well maybe its all the years of reading to my kids ;) although my kids preferred Robert Munch over dr sues.

Tasha said:
Love fish, Love to stare a them in the tank, love to catch them in the lake, river and ocean, no problems cleaning them, and Havent met one I dont like to eat as long as its cooked :) trout, salmon, halibut, octapus, shrimp, prawn, oysters, crab, mmmmm now im hungry :)

as for pets, we've had a snake, found it in the yard, 1 daughter wanted to keep it, snake escaped, even with a lid?! found it 3 hrs later, phew..... finally convinced daughter to let it go back outside 2 wks later. We have dogs and cats and fish obviously... we had rats, hamsters, hedgehogs, chinchillas, snakes, frogs, ...... I feel like a pet store, LOL!

Did you eat the snake? :)

No, I draw the line at snake!! ;). Actually I would try it given the opportunity but not my lids pet snake lol

I fish regularly... but I feel really bad about killing brookies in the yellow dog. So I really don't eat them. I just kinda cast my flies enjoy a wonderful walk along a beautiful river make sure to take good care of any fish I catch and use barbless hooks. I feel guilty given that I go deer hunting every year and get one... I just feel more for the fish.

My husband is a huge seafood guy, (as well as an excellent cook!). Thanks to him, I enjoy Sushi, Salmon, Crawdads... the list goes on and on.

Oh and PETA would really dislike me... I married an avid hunter. ;)
Elk, Deer, Turkey, Pheasant, Boar, Antelope = YUM!!

I'm the 1 vote for not eating fish because we have them as pets.
I am also a vegetarian. I will never be a member of PETA or The Humane Society of America, a anti-gun lobby group. They don't really do anything to stop the abuse of domestic animals and are in no way affiliated with the ASPCA.
That being, I completely understand the reasoning behind a regulated hunting season. Man has eliminated all deer natural enemies. If hunting isn't done the deer multiply until the entire food source is gone and then they all die slowly of starvation.
I also believe that true animal abuse, not hunting, should be a felony.

Lol well maybe its all the years of reading to my kids ;) although my kids preferred Robert Munch over dr sues.
I can sympathize, when my daughter was younger, I sounded like her bedtime stories.
Now I'm raising my Grandson and I still hear things as being like Dr. Sues. And I still love the bedtime story, Good Night Moon.

I catch fish and put them back or take them to the elderly around town. I can't stand the taste or smell of seafood/fish, and refuse to even be in the house when it's cooking.
I eat meat though, and vegetables.

posleen103 said:
I fish regularly... but I feel really bad about killing brookies in the yellow dog. So I really don't eat them. I just kinda cast my flies enjoy a wonderful walk along a beautiful river make sure to take good care of any fish I catch and use barbless hooks. I feel guilty given that I go deer hunting every year and get one... I just feel more for the fish.

I love to fish but I will keep them but I also clean them and eat them and throw the remains back for the fish still there can eat them like you should and I don't really hunt but I have no problem with people killing deer as long as they clean them for the meat and aren't just going for the antliers that kind of stuff makes me mad

Back
Top Bottom