LFS frustration - Orange County

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

techiegirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Not sure about where to post this - if it needs moving please do.

Why is it so hard to find a decent fishstore these days??? :(

I want to set up a sump and I had been thinking about making my own and saw a great sticky thread with pics on the forum here. But I was not completely sure so I went to Jeff's Exotic Fish in Orange last week to compare the cost and he told me everything I would need to buy - worked out to around $600 (acrylic sump, pump, overflow box, new submersible protein skimmer and plumbing).

This is for the tank at work and money isn't really an object so I call this afternoon and tell him we are going to go with what we talked about and asked when I could come in and set everything up - he had said he would help do that. He said any time. So I go there 30 minutes later. I wait and he isn't even acknowledging me - he starts helping another lady with fish - she was there first but some acknowledgment would be nice - esp when you are going to spend so much money.
After 10 minutes another guy asks if I need help and I tell him what I need and we walk over to the sumps and they don't even have them in stock!! GRRRR
He tries calling another store and they don't answer their phone and he is just not in the least bit helpful abotu telling me if they can order, when they can get another in or anything. :roll:
I figure, fine, I'll just spend my money elsewhere.

So I go over to Fish 2000 in Tustin. Frank's daughter owns the place now. I ask if she can get a sump and she just wasn't real bright about it. and get get my prices or dimensions or anything and asks if she cna call me. I doubt she will but whatever. But then she tells me she has a bunch of new stuff in her car and hasn't even had time to get it out yet. I said jokingly that I hoped it wasn't fish, and she said that yes it was!! 8O I told her she better go get it acuz it's hot outside (about 85 degrees) and do you know what she said????
She said "I'm not worried..... my car's white."
OMG!!!! What a complete moron!!!!! No wonder there fish die! Even if they survive to their tank, they are gonna be so stressed that they'll end up dying in the tank of someone that bought them.
ARGH!!!!!!!!! :evil:

PetTown in El Toro is gone now too and I just don't know where to go anymore. :? Help!!

Is it that difficult to give good customer service????
I know I can buy stuff separatly online but I thought if I bought it all from a store I could actually get some help!
Stupid me!!!

Ohhhhhhh, you wanted and intelligent person to provide service? Have you tried the experts at Home Depot!......sorry.

I live in HB and have been lucky enough to fond two LFS's that provide excellent service:
Ocean Reef on Brookhurst/Adams 965-7888
Reef Collection on Center/Goldenwest 379-8879

I'd go with Ocean Reef. Better prices on harware. Good luck!

try Tong's in Fountain Valley as well. Noticed Tustin. There is a brand new place on Netport and El Camino Window at the Sea. Seem OK, bought some snails $0.69 ea.

pacific Reef 964-8899 on Brookhurst in FV

ps. Frank's daughter sold me a riccordea rock with 20+ rics for $25.

I visit Tong's often. Many of their corals are wild caught and don't fair very well. Their store is very well stocked and fun to look at.

Love Pacific Reef and their service. I think I'm buying my 120 gal from them. Corals are pricey. Nice fish selection.

Love Pacific Reef and their service
When starting up new tank, not too bad. With the buy three get one free deal. Or is it but 2 get third free?

thing I like about them, is if they don't have it, they'll order it for you at no extra charge. :wink:

Pacific Reef is great. I don't think I have ever gone in and they have told me NO. They are always willing to order me anything I want and prices are very reasonable. Besides, the owners are very knowledable and always have time to answer questions.

I found them on accident 2 years ago and haven't gone anywhere else since.

a couple great recommendations on this thread...

i live in HB as well and have to say that tongs is probably my favorite. i only have freshwater, but they always have a wide variety.

a couple smaller stores i recommend for oddball stuff (mostly freshwater) 405 fish at goldenwest and mcfadden as well as another independent store in santa ana i can't remember the name of but is at the corner of fairview and warner.

Back
Top Bottom