LFS with dead rotting fish in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys I went to my LFS yesterday. I was going to buy a beautiful coral beauty angelfish. However I walked around to see what else they had and to my surprise in one of the tanks lo and behold I saw a dead rotting skunk clown. It was so bad it looks as though the other clowns were tearing him apart. My thing is that if he Was I right to leave the coral beauty since i dont have a quarantine tank although he was in a different tank?

It depends on how their system is set up. If they have a flow-through system then who knows what the other livestock could have; however, if it is a contained tank with separate filtration the other fish shouldn't be affected. Of course, this also depends upon the lfs workers personal habits of washing hands and reusing the same nets :s I wouldn't bother fish shopping without a qt available. It can save you alot of hassles in the long run.

I usuallly get my fish from a friend of mine who has good practices so I opted not to have a QT.

As James said it really depends on the system your LFS has but IMO if I see dead and rotting fish then I`m not buying anything from them. That is just me but why take the chance.

If those fish in the community at the FS are hungry, they can turn anything into dismember shreds. IMO a small percentage of fish are going to die at the pet shop :cry: , but if they're not responsible enough for taking care of it as soon as it brought their attention. Then yah, never go back there. You did the right thing, based on what you could tell :)

fishrfreinds said:
If those fish in the community at the FS are hungry, they can turn anything into dismember shreds. IMO a small percentage of fish are going to die at the pet shop :cry: , but if they're not responsible enough for taking care of it as soon as it brought their attention. Then yah, never go back there. You did the right thing, based on what you could tell :)
It really turned me off. Before I left the store a guy was complaining all his sharks had died. It made me wonder whose fault was it? If the fish had just died then no prob but to be rotting that means he was there long. I also saw other fish in the tank taking air from the top of the water.

While I agree this LFS sounds sketchy, a dead fish in the tank does not make for a bad fish shop. As mentioned earlier, all fish stores are going to have fish die... that's just the way it goes. I think the true judge of the store is what they do after you mention the dead fish to them. (Did you mention it to them?) I've had some that act very embarrased and take care of the situation immediately. I've had others that tap on the glass and say "Hmm... I'm not sure if he's dead or not." (Gee... ya think that gaping hole in his side is an indication?) And then there are others that every time you go in the shop, you see a dead fish floating. (If they're floating... they've been in there a while!)

Anyway... I think you're always right in trusting your gut instinct when it comes to buying a fish.

Kurt_Nelson said:
While I agree this LFS sounds sketchy, a dead fish in the tank does not make for a bad fish shop. As mentioned earlier, all fish stores are going to have fish die... that's just the way it goes. I think the true judge of the store is what they do after you mention the dead fish to them. (Did you mention it to them?) I've had some that act very embarrased and take care of the situation immediately. I've had others that tap on the glass and say "Hmm... I'm not sure if he's dead or not." (Gee... ya think that gaping hole in his side is an indication?) And then there are others that every time you go in the shop, you see a dead fish floating. (If they're floating... they've been in there a while!)

Anyway... I think you're always right in trusting your gut instinct when it comes to buying a fish.
Well my prob wasn't that he was dead because some will die. But the fact that as you said he was floating and he also became fish food for the other fish. It was so bad his eyes had a white cast, his body also had that wierd looking cast. His tail was missing and parts of his abdomen as well so that says to me he was there for a while. I feel if you are taking good care of them then that should never have happened.

Back
Top Bottom