Life rock making the water very bubbley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raym94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Two days ago, I put in 115 lbs of Carib sea life rock into a 125 reef aquarium we are starting. After about 24 hours, the water became so bubbley that the skimmer was overflowing. Has anyone had a similar experience?

I did not rinse the rock because it was treated with bacteria in the manufacturing process. I put a bag of carbon in the tank today.

Nothing living is in the tank yet, so a major water change is no big deal, I just have no idea what it could be. The tank had been running for a week to begin to break in all the equipment. It wasn't until the rock went in that it started getting bubbley. Any help would be appreciated.

Your skimmer is overflowing because you added a ton of new stuff into the system for it to process. In terms of things being 'bubbley', there is most likely water splashing into the tank that is creating air bubbles to get stuck in the system. Most likely the overflowing skimmer.

Should the skimmer overflow in 30 seconds? The water looks almost soapy.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Run the skimmer at bare minimum, just let it foam, not run into the cup. It will subside in a few days.

I'm no expert but the bubbles coming out of the rock might be leaching some gases that have been stuck in the rock.

I remember on the bulk reef supply YouTube video 52 weeks of reefing series, the one that covers the rock they mention something about this happening with some rock. Might be worth checking out...

Oxygen is a gas that is most easily trapped due to our own equipment breaking surface area. You can also see co2, but it will get trapped by things such as Cyanobacteria. There are others but that's simply the most common seen.

Back
Top Bottom