Life span of a molly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

owen0992

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just wondering because my male sailfin molly has just stopped swimming and laying on the substrate. I've had him for 2 and a half years and would say he was around a year when I got him, making him 3 and a half. He shows no signs of any disease that I know of and isn't even lethargic. Is him just laying on the substrate a sign of old age and impending passing? How long do they usually live? I thought longer but 3.5 is pretty good as he was my first fish and survived whatever newbie mistakes I made, and I made quite a few. The tank he is in has been healthy with no other casualties or illness in 3 months. I set up my hospital tank and dosed some salt and am raising the temp in hopes it gets him back but idk. Is it just his time?

hard to say why he is doing that, but average lifespan is 3-5 years so id say you did pretty good if it is just old age

:( I hope he doesn't go. It will sadden me to no end to see the fish who got me hooked (pun not intended) onto the hobby pass. Last I checked he was stuck to the filter intake. I decided to unplug the thing and just do 20% water changes a day to avoid that problem. Hopefully he'll still be kicking in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom