light strip replacement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm assuming that you do have plants or will have plants. What kind of plants are you planning on keeping? Are you going to do CO2 injection?

At the moment, I have some easy plants (java fern, sword, asian ambulia).

I am looking into more difficult plants in the future.

I will be implementing a DIY CO2 system within this week.

The fixture you bought is for saltwater. You could replace the actinic bulb with a 6700K one and have something that will give you some better options for plants. I've found a number of plants that will grow under medium low light such as Rotala, many crypts, Java moss, dwarf sags, etc. Check the following link for some more suggestions:

PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

IMO you can't upgrade your existing fixture any further because the Coralife T-5 lights have fixed ballasts that can't be replaced.

Also if you do find you want/need a better/different fixture I would go with a 24" T5HO, the one you have now just uses regular T5 bulbs. They are not interchangeable since the ballast is what controls the bulbs/wattage.

The PC fixtures have smaller bulbs that dont fully go from one end to the other, luckily for you the T5HO's are sold in 24"

But if you do have 1 actinic bulb in your fixture I would try swapping that for another bulbs like gheitman said

yeah, there is a T5 HO fixture on the site i linked to, but it costs a little under twice as much.
Catalina Aquarium

There's also a 4 bulb that costs $225...which is odd because my 4 bulb 48" costs only $150 from them

But if you do have 1 actinic bulb in your fixture I would try swapping that for another bulbs like gheitman said

Is actinic bulb weak compare to the 10,000K?

What is the reason for swapping this bulb out? Is there a benefit of Actinic bulb at all?

Atnic bulbs are very blue. The plants cannot really use the light for photosynthesis. A natural day light color is much better. They can make certain fish really pop.

Actinics are meant for Salt Water aquariums where the corals need more blue light due to their depth in the water. While plants can use some blue light, it's generally agreed that the full daylight bulbs are better for their growth.

Back
Top Bottom