Lighting for 10 g planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmberG

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon tank that I want to add live plants too. My substrate is sand. Aquarium was set up about mid-July using a little water and the filter from a year old tank (I now have the new filter set up and it is finished cycling). I've added one, small low light plant already, but I have forgotten the name already. I just added it a few days ago. I would like to add another plant, probably anacharis or java moss.

Right now, the lighting is what came with the hood: 2- 15 watt incadescent bulbs. The aquarium is on a wall opposite a window, about 10 feet away. Is this appropriate lighting for these plants or do I need to get a daylight cfl or 2? What do I need as far as lighting goes so that I don't have to do a bunch of fertilizer and CO2 stuff? Thanks in advance for your advice!!

I would swap the incandescents for some cfls. Incandescents are near worthless for growing live plants.

With 2 lower wattage CFLs, you could get by for awhile without CO2 or fert addition.

Yeah i have a 10 gallon set up with CFL's. Works fine and the plants grow. If you really want to see em grow you can get some sechem excel

Back
Top Bottom