Lighting for a 40 gallon breeder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemyfish79

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just picked up a 40 gallon breeder tank that I'm going to be building. Would one of those Tao tronics led lights be enough coverage? If not any recommendations?

One placed pretty high would do the trick. You could put SPS in the center and LPS and softies on the other edges. What are your plans? SPS dominant?

This frag tub is roughly 48" x 30" and I have acropora in the center and all sorts of montis, leathers, and zoas all over the place doing good. This fixture is 17" off of the water, but the tub is only 12" deep...
img_2985887_0_0b7728249c24e6768d0a1edd8d41e186.jpg

Right now I just have some beginner corals in my 20 but definitely looking to expand in the coral side of the hobby. So a canopy probably wouldn't work for this build haha.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not if you only want 1 panel, if you got 2 they could be much closer to the water. I think there about $100 a piece right now, $200 on reef lighting is still on the pretty cheap side.

I'm gonna have to keep searching then haha. I was looking at around $200 for a panel. What's the difference between the full spectrum lights or just the blue and white. This is gonna be my show tank and I also have to keep the wife happy on the looks of it

Just the colors. They do nothing for coral growth, and nothing for coloration in my opinion. I prefer the blue and white panels, and you'll find folks that like the others. Bottom line is, both grow coral the same.

Mr_x or big reef, any thoughts on this light?

Attachments

• 1404843782336.jpg
    1404843782336.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 157
It will not grow sps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1. Fancy looking light, but it definitely lacks in power. You want a unit that uses 3w individual diodes. The Taos are pretty much the best bang for the buck out there

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys. Probably start this build this weekend. Definitely starting a thread.

An eco-xotic saltwater led fixture is good as well. My neighbor uses one on his 40 gallon breeder and gets plenty of growth, no sps though... Pretty sure it could support them directly under the light.

Mr x, bribo, or big reef, filter sock on my sump/refugium or no?

Yes IMO/IME. It's a must. You will need a half dozen of them because you'll be changing them out a lot.

X, I'm assuming you're running your LEDs on 100% power on both channels?

You also could look into Reefbreeders. They have good, quality fixtures for a reasonable price. Also, checking for sale forums on here, Nano Reef, and Reef Central is a viable option. You can score nice lights at good prices. I just got a used Radion for $275.

No. 100% blues and 40% whites. I like the 20k look.

Ah, ok. I really like you're setup with the plastic tubs. It's cheap, simple, and seems to be working great for you. Plus, the added water volume is always great!

Ok, another question for you experienced reefers. I'm purchasing a gl******* kit for my 40 gallon breeder. Does it matter which side I place it or is it just personal pretence? Would it work properly in the center?

Back
Top Bottom