Lighting for a 40 gallon breeder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have my overflow drilled on my 40 on the far left and the return is on the far right. Just make sure you leave enough room to put the acrylic around the overflow box, I had a rough time since it was so close to the left side. :)

I just bought the kit from glass holes, I was thinking of just making it but I want this to be a professional look rather then my horrible caulky job haha

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

oH cool, so you arent caulking but using the four sided overflow box from glass holes? That one you just drill the glass and then the box and attach with bulkheads. :)

Alright my experienced reefers, I'm asking for your help again. I need recommendations for a protein skimmer for a 40 gallon breeder setup with a 35 gallon refuge/sump. I don't want to spend over $125 if possible? Any suggestions?

How about an eshopps skimmer? they have a small foot print and work pretty well. The Curve that X posted is also an awesome skimmer too, just more than your budget.

This is one item that you really shouldnt skimp on, it will be the lifeblood of your filtration. Buy one that is quality the first time around, trust me, not worth getting a seaclone or anything like that and then having to get a more expensive one down the road.
If you have to, do massive water changes for an extra month or so while you save for the more expensive skimmer.

Which Eshoppes skimmer are you referring to? I can't get much infor on the sk100 pump, so the only skimmers by eshoppes i would recommend are the ones with the sk400 or higher.

I have 2 eshopps psk150's which work awesome. Not sure which pumps they have on them though but the "sk100" doesnt seem familiar. I think mine have different pumps on them...

Right now everyone is happy in my 20, this build I definitely want to do right. I just don't know much about protein skimmers. I just recently got the biocube skimmer for my 20 long just for help with the ph, but other then that I have no idea haha

I have 2 eshopps psk150's which work awesome. Not sure which pumps they have on them though but the "sk100" doesnt seem familiar. I think mine have different pumps on them...
You have the sk400's on your skimmers. The 150's are 300 bucks or so, aren't they? Saying you have a skimmer from a company that works good, doesn't make all the skimmers from that company work good. What makes a skimmer good is it's pump. Air draw mainly.

Ok, next question, what size return pump should I use in my sump? The glass holes kit I got is rated at 700 gph and I think I'm just going to use that flexible piping with a valve right off my bulkhead. Suggestions please? :-D

Any luck with this one or too big?

Attachments

• 1405354884689.jpg
    1405354884689.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 85
That's a piece of crap IMO, and yes, you don't need 1300gph. you will be choking that back to less than half.

Pretty sure I'm just gonna follow all your advice Mr. X and just call my build thread the josh and Mr. X 40 gallon build haha.

Funnel nozzle for my return or just an elbow?

Which ever you like.
Carey- I reread my earlier post and see how it may have been taken as some sort of attack, when that's not what I meant at all. I was simply talking about skimmer pumps. No offense meant.

LOL. I didnt take it as an attack per se, just sounded very curt to me! lol

But no offense taken. :)

I wasnt aware of a huge disparity between the eshopps pumps.....I just know I use the 150's and they perform well for me.
:)

It's with virtually any manufacturer really. Anytime you see the question "is this skimmer any good" they need but to research the pump.

Back
Top Bottom