Lighting for live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to set up a 55 gal tank with live rock and later some fish and was wondering what I need for lighting to sustain live rock. I currently have a double strip hood with a 47" Coralife actinic 03, and a 47" coralife 10,000k super daylight. These are from a fish only tank I had before. Any suggestions. Thanks...

I currently have a double strip hood with a 47" Coralife actinic 03, and a 47" coralife 10,000k super daylight

I meant to say 48" instead of 47" sorry.
Anyway I am not sure how many watts the strip is I do know it has 2 ballast and two bulbs so it probably isnt enough light. Where would the wattage be printed? Also what kind of bulbls would be good for live rock 10,000k, Actinic, 50/50 ect. Do I need a hood with 3 or 4 bulbs instead of 2? I dont plan to grow any coral or anything like that just want to sustain the live rock. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks...

Actinic is the most benificial for for coralline, so Im told. 50/50 is better for viewing, try using both. HTH

Back
Top Bottom