Lighting help, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psychocircus91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking to do moderate light and want to avoid overkill.
Do standard florescent fixtures work for growing plants? Should you replace the bulb with something else if you get one of these fixtures?

What size tank do you have? From my experience on a 29g a dual t5ho was enough to grow most things, but when switching to a 55g a dual t5ho is enough to grow medium light plants at most. The deeper your tank the more light you will need.

As for changing the bulbs, I would avoid messing around with it because you need to change the internals of the light fixture to change to a different type of bulb and is just not worth it imho.

the tank will be a 40 long. 48x13x16.
However it will be an amazon biotope so the lighting needs to be low-moderate.
I'm certain t5hos will be overkill.
I'm questioning whether t5nos will be overkill.

Planted Tanks

I'm looking to do moderate light and want to avoid overkill.
Do standard florescent fixtures work for growing plants? Should you replace the bulb with something else if you get one of these fixtures?

Hello Psych...

I use florescent bulbs in my low to moderate (subdued) light tanks. I use two 6500K T8, 32 watt or T12 (40 watt), I get from the hardware store for a few dollars each. They work fine. GE makes a good aquarium plant bulb, that's what I use.

B

Hello Psych...

I use florescent bulbs in my low to moderate (subdued) light tanks. I use two 6500K T8, 32 watt or T12 (40 watt), I get from the hardware store for a few dollars each. They work fine. GE makes a good aquarium plant bulb, that's what I use.

B

Thanks for the direct answer. One issue I am having is when looking for a fixture online, they do not specify whether the fluorescent bulb is t8 or t12. Should I worry about which I am purchasing?

a single t5ho would be sufficient for the light level you are looking for. If choosing against t5ho I would go with a dual t8 or t5NO fixture.

As for t12, I am not quite sure as I have never used them, but it might be more difficult to find the bulbs for them since they aren't really commonly used.

I'm far from an expert on lighting but have you considered a Finnex Fugeray? Par value seems in the ballpark of what you are looking for.

Hq4XGpy.jpg

Cost is a bit more up front but you never have to worry about replacing bulbs. It might be more up your alley as it wouldn't need pressurized CO2 (although supplementing with a liquid carbon like Excel would be recommended) but could still sustain low and the lower end of medium light plans like crypts, swords, bacopa, willow hygro, and of course your java ferns and anubias. I enjoy the Fugeray on two of my low-tech (no CO2) nano tanks and am pleased with the growth I get (although those are more shallow). Just a suggestion, however, and please anyone correct me if I'm off here.

I'm far from an expert on lighting but have you considered a Finnex Fugeray? Par value seems in the ballpark of what you are looking for.

Hq4XGpy.jpg

Cost is a bit more up front but you never have to worry about replacing bulbs. It might be more up your alley as it wouldn't need pressurized CO2 (although supplementing with a liquid carbon like Excel would be recommended) but could still sustain low and the lower end of medium light plans like crypts, swords, bacopa, willow hygro, and of course your java ferns and anubias. I enjoy the Fugeray on two of my low-tech (no CO2) nano tanks and am pleased with the growth I get (although those are more shallow). Just a suggestion, however, and please anyone correct me if I'm off here.

I have actually heard of these lights. People have said they are a bit better than the marineland double brights. Turns out I have an appropriately sized marineland double brights from my saltwater tank before I upgraded.
I'm considering trying those, the main thing people complained about is the "spotlight effect" where you can see several beams.

I may try it out and if I don't like it, I'll likely go with a dual t5NO

Florescent Lighting

Thanks for the direct answer. One issue I am having is when looking for a fixture online, they do not specify whether the fluorescent bulb is t8 or t12. Should I worry about which I am purchasing?

Hello again Psych...

I use 2 single strip fixtures I got at the local pet store. I got a bi-fold glass canopy for a few dollars on-line to support the light strips. The setup is much less expensive then the T5 strips I priced. Lowe's or Home Depot has fixtures that will hold multiple bulbs too. Prices to me, are reasonable.

The strength of the light will depend on the bulb. A T5 is stronger, but a T8 or T12 will spread the light over a much wider area. It all depends on the plants you like to keep. I prefer low to moderate light kinds. The lighting is much less expensive and you don't need pricey CO2 systems.

Just one reporter's opinion though, there are many other setups that will work.

B

Back
Top Bottom