Lighting NEED HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

triggerman888

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to the hobby and i have a 55gal. with standard flouresent lighting (40watts) and i was woundering would i be able to keep live rock under my current lighting. If not not could you recommend any suitable lighting.

Hmmm. That name. I assume you're not trying to do any type of reef w/coral. :roll:

I believe that light is fine for just live rock and the filtration benefits it has, as long as you don't expect to see growth on it.

Welcome to AA by the way!

WELCOME TO AA!!

I'm not too sure what the lighting reqs are for LR growth. Are those the light that came with your tank? Are you talkin live rock, or corals?

Yes those lights came with my tank and im am only wanting to keep live rock.

triggerman888 said:
I am new to the hobby and i have a 55gal. with standard flouresent lighting (40watts) and i was woundering would i be able to keep live rock under my current lighting. If not not could you recommend any suitable lighting.

Your lighting is fine. If you want coraline to grow, you'll need calcium and make sure your magnesium is high enough :)

If you want coraline to grow, you'll need calcium and make sure your magnesium is high enough

A good salt will take care of this during your PWC's. I think I read some where that LR needs moderate lighting to grow most of the good stuff that the rock comes with. You will get some coraline growing with the current lighting you have now if that is all you want.

I got better purple and maroon coraline growth with a 40w tube than I've gotten out of my 220w pc's.

as long as you're not keeping coral, your lights are fine, however if the tank is designed for tropical fish the lights may have a low k rating, in which case you may find a whiter tube to be more pleasing, also, is the tank brand new?, if the fluorescents are old they will promote the growth of unwanted algae.

Back
Top Bottom