Lighting suggestion for 75 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blert

Aquarium Advice Addict
Am looking for a new fixture to give me medium low light in a 75 galling tank. Would prefer the fixture to have built in LED "moonlights".

Any suggestions or links to fixtures? Not looking to break the bank here.

BTW, I currently have a strip fixture with a t10 bulb in it. I can install a 40 watt t8 bulb (I think) or I can retro it to a single t5ho and add DIY "moonlights".

I MAY also be able to fit a dual t5ho retro into it but I have not measured the inside yet. It may get too hot for it as it doesn't have much cooling. Dual t5ho retro kits are about as expensive as an inexpensive full new unit.

Am looking for a new fixture to give me medium low light in a 75 galling tank. Would prefer the fixture to have built in LED "moonlights".

Any suggestions or links to fixtures? Not looking to break the bank here.

Here's on I've been considering ... on Amazon. You may need to swap out the Bulbs ... I think they come with a 10K and an actinic bulb.

DB SOLARMAXHO2 HO T5 STRIP 48: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies

jcolon said:
Here's on I've been considering ... on Amazon. You may need to swap out the Bulbs ... I think they come with a 10K and an actinic bulb.

DB SOLARMAXHO2 HO T5 STRIP 48: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies

Hmmm... One power cord, two switches to control the bulbs independently and no switch for the LEDs (they are always on).

If you use this fixture on a timer then you basically lose the "moonlight" as they turn off with the unit.

Add approximately forty or fifty bucks for new bulbs and this unit becomes less appealing. Thanks for the suggestion though. Any more?

Hmmm... One power cord, two switches to control the bulbs independently and no switch for the LEDs (they are always on).

If you use this fixture on a timer then you basically lose the "moonlight" as they turn off with the unit.

Add approximately forty or fifty bucks for new bulbs and this unit becomes less appealing. Thanks for the suggestion though. Any more?

Most two bulb fixtures I'm coming across have similar specs, 1 Pwr-cord, Blue Led's always on .. etc.

I'm seriously considering just going with Marineland DB LED's which I've read

Here's a link to another company I just remembered I had bookmarked ...
Catalina Aquarium

Ah yes, Catalina. This one looks promising but I will have to DIY some moonlights onto it.

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=71_190&products_id=1638

There is one company I wish I could find again. I used to have them bookmarked. They had some sweet fixtures at really good prices. I called them once and spoke to some guy that said they make them and sell them so they can pass on the savings. Company was somewhere in California, that's all I can remember. Oh, and I think it had "sun" somewhere in the company name. Not much to go on there.

Back
Top Bottom