Lighting. T-8 input

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CameronCade

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking at getting some Zoo Med lighting for my 55 gallon cichlid tank. Their is different types like reef sun flora sun tropical sun ocean sun. I like the tropical sun from videos I've seen. Can anyone tell me which one be better, is the product good? Is it worth 17$ a light?

I'm looking at getting some Zoo Med lighting for my 55 gallon cichlid tank. Their is different types like reef sun flora sun tropical sun ocean sun. I like the tropical sun from videos I've seen. Can anyone tell me which one be better, is the product good? Is it worth 17$ a light?

Nope not worth it, you can go to lowes or Home Depot and get the 32 watt 5600k daylight bulbs. Exact same thing and cost less than $10 for two.

For the record I asked a manager at Petco what the difference between the day light bulbs from lowes and the zoo med ones and she told me not a thing besides $13 + dollars less per bulb.

I'm not sure what the originals looked like but I'm sure this will be an upgrade. What bothered you about the old ones?

Nothing really. Just have some extra cash I wanted to use for the tank. Thought maybe some lighting would set it off

Nothing really. Just have some extra cash I wanted to use for the tank. Thought maybe some lighting would set it off

If there's nothing wrong with the light I see no reason to swap them out. Just save your pennies incase you need anything, I alway find little things I need to buy.

I put an actinic blue bulb over my cichlid tank along with a daylight bulb. I really like the results. I have each on a seperate timer, so the blue comes on first, then the white light is on (with the blue) in the evening while I'm home, then the blue stays on by itself until late at night. I get lots of viewing time, less bright light, less algae, the fish look great, seem to like the dimmer light.

The fish don't care about how the lighting looks its all your personal preference. I tried the whole Antinic light thing and hated it. I thought it looked to artificial and not to mention a waste of money.

I had just daylight bulbs on my tank and a long viewing time too with no major algae problems...just saying.

The fish might not care how the lighting "looks" but the lighting intensity can affect behavior.

Actinic T8 bulb cost me as much as any other T8 bulb...$13? Just replaced one white with one blue. I get a sort of "moonlight" effect, blue comes on first, then white+blue, then just blue again before all the lights go out. IMO, mine doesn't appear artificial at all, I think it really makes the bright colors pop.

The fish might not care how the lighting "looks" but the lighting intensity can affect behavior.

Actinic T8 bulb cost me as much as any other T8 bulb...$13? Just replaced one white with one blue. I get a sort of "moonlight" effect, blue comes on first, then white+blue, then just blue again before all the lights go out. IMO, mine doesn't appear artificial at all, I think it really makes the bright colors pop.

I use the same bulbs on all my tanks and haven't noticed any abnormal behavior *shrug*

$13 still seems high for a bulb epically if you're not even growing any plants in the tank, but hey that's jut my opinion and ultimately it's up to the OP to decide what they like best.

Cam I looked at the couple pics of your tank and I think it's nice and clear. I am going to be upgrading mine to all led but that's cuz I have a Mickey Mouse setup now with an old t8 actinic in one strip and dual t5 aqueon strip (recently bought and not cheap at $90) that has 1 50/50 and 1 6700k bulb that came w it. Just the aqueon is clear an white and natural. I actually like them all on at same time. When i put just the actinic on the fish freak out and dart into caves. I placed the blue in back and like how it looks. Below is just the aqueon on alone. The actinic on alone and the combo is # 3. So I do agree with phish that some blue looks cool but I also like natural sometimes so i suggest maybe you keep the light u have now and maybe just add some blue led moon lights? They're usually not too pricy and easy to get off amazon.
P.s the first pic was couple hrs after rescape and water change, 2nd is prior to scape and 3rd is present. Next project is black back, new canister, and MAYBE led lights if I can find right thing to replace what I have

Attachments

• image-174618616.jpg
    image-174618616.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 50
  • image-3476007760.jpg
    image-3476007760.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 58
  • image-2242330864.jpg
    image-2242330864.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 47
Cam I looked at the couple pics of your tank and I think it's nice and clear. I am going to be upgrading mine to all led but that's cuz I have a Mickey Mouse setup now with an old t8 actinic in one strip and dual t5 aqueon strip (recently bought and not cheap at $90) that has 1 50/50 and 1 6700k bulb that came w it. Just the aqueon is clear an white and natural. I actually like them all on at same time. When i put just the actinic on the fish freak out and dart into caves. I placed the blue in back and like how it looks. Below is just the aqueon on alone. The actinic on alone and the combo is # 3. So I do agree with phish that some blue looks cool but I also like natural sometimes so i suggest maybe you keep the light u have now and maybe just add some blue led moon lights? They're usually not too pricy and easy to get off amazon.
P.s the first pic was couple hrs after rescape and water change, 2nd is prior to scape and 3rd is present. Next project is black back, new canister, and MAYBE led lights if I can find right thing to replace what I have

Yea I would like to add something to make the fish pop. Maybe blue led lighting. I love your tank. A black background would make the fish stand out. Jmo.

image-297816339.jpg
Hey guys I've been using light gels for coloration for my tank,I but regular florescent light and spend $6 on a nice roll of colored gel and wrap it around my lights and it looks kinda nice

image-2023358717.jpg

Hey guys I've been using light gels for coloration for my tank,I but regular florescent light and spend $6 on a nice roll of colored gel and wrap it around my lights and it looks kinda nice

That's a good idea! They don't melt? Where do u get them? And do they just peal off when u wanna change or do u need a new bulb?

Back
Top Bottom