Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack sort

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need some expert advice.

I am in the process of modifying the Aqueon hood that came with my 29 Gal to a two bulb T-5 fixture. The lighting requirements for the plants I have in my tank are low to medium. What would be the best bulbs to run in this fixture, and would this be enough light for my plants.

Whatever looks best to you will work. I would avoid actinic bulbs because they make a planted tank look unnatural.

As a rule, lower temp bulbs (5000K, 3000K, colormax, and plant grow) will make a tank look "warmer" (think late day/early morning light) whereas higher temp bulbs (6700K, 10000K) will give a brighter, more daylight tone. Some experimentation is usually required. You can try to look at other tanks too see what you like as well. There's really not a wrong answer, and I don't think you will necessarily find any combination of the above bulbs distasteful.

It's hard to go wrong using just 6700K daylight bulbs if you don't want to play the mix and match game.

Hello Jack...

A couple of T5s should be fine for your 29 G. The T5s I use are 28 watts per lamp, so you have approximately 60 watts. That's more than sufficient for low to medium light plants. Ideally, you want the bulbs to be 6500 to 6700K. But bulbs up to 10,000K would work for the less demanding plants.

B

Thanks for the help. I found the Zoo Med bulbs online for $12 each, seems like a pretty good deal. Any other recommendations?

Im intrtested how that fixture works out... i just boight a 2ft 4 hulb for my 36 bow but im out of state atm so i cant put it on....

Here is my modified hood. Took out the original Aqueon light fixture and installed a two bulb T-5 fixture. I also added some Mylar to help reflect the light.

image-3899578569.jpg

Back
Top Bottom