Lighting ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have asked some questions before but I am still not sure what to get. I have a 100 gallon tank and I want to do low light plants, I think I need 1.5 to 2 watts per gallon for this. This is where I get lost at.
1. What type of light fixture would be best and cheap.
2. How do I know what size fixtures and what size or length of bulbs that I need.
3. Could someone just come set this up for me. ( hahaha)

I really need you guys to SPELL IT OUT FOR ME.
I don't want to get the wrong thing.

Thanks Tess :?

I would recommend (based on the assumption that the tank is 4' long) a 4x65w CF fixture that includes 2 x 10000K bulbs and 2 x Actinic bulbs.

This leaves you the option of increasing your light w/ the following

130w (default bulbs)
195w (2 x 10000K and 2 x 50/50 bulbs)
260w (4 x 10000K bulbs or 2 x 10000K and 2 x 6700K (or Dual daylight..)

This gives you an upgrade path. (with only the cost of the bulbs) and the Actinic bulbs will highlight the fishes colours and add the ability to stage the lighting (ie. 10:00am actinics come on, 11:00am the daylights come on, 9:00pm the daylights turn off, 10:00 the actinics turn off) this schedule of course would have to be adjusted .. it's just a ballpark idea of what you can do with a couple of timers.

Others can probably point out fixtures better then I can. I know the Coralife fixtures are good, but I'm not sure of the price point. If cost is a huge issue, then a 2 x 65w fixture could work, but it leaves no room to increase the light.

I think the airfare for me to help would exceed the cost of the fixture :)

Wizzard, Thanks for the reply that helps now I just need to tack down prices. I like the Idea of the actinic lights that will make my fish look better.

Thanks Tess

Thats a pretty good setup Wizzard recommended. I'd suggest instead of the 10k bulbs, you get the Dual Daylight 10000k/6700k bulbs by Current I believe. IMO they provide a much fuller light.

Thanks David, this gives me more choices, Money will be a primary concern.
Please keep the suggestions comming.
Tess

Where do I find the refurbished light fixtures at?
How do I know what size fixture to get my tank measures 60 inchs long from on corner of the tank to the other and 19.5 inch wide form corner to coner. and 20.5 inch deep from top to bottom?

Thanks
Tess

If you click on the link in my prior post, you'll be taken to a site that sells refurbished units. I bought one from them nearly a year ago and was pleased with both the company and the unit.

Generally when measuring tanks, you measure edge to edge not corner to corner. Measure the tank from the left side to the right side (the long ways), and that is the length of the light fixture that you will need.

I measured the top of my tank from the inside edge across the tank where the lights sit and it measures 59 inch.
Do I need to get one 48 inch fixture or two 30 inch fitures the 48 inch would be cheaper but which one would look better and work better.

Thanks for answering my stupid questions. Ya'll a really a lot of help.

Thanks Tess

Oh I see. I thought that you meant that you were measuring the tank diagonally when you said corner to corner.

Sounds like that's going to be an interesting tank to try to light. With a 48" fixture the two ends of the tank are going to be much dimmer than the rest of the tank. You can compensate for this by using lower light plants on the ends. My personal opinion is that it looks a lot better and is easier to work with when the lighting fixture actually fits the width of the tank.

You may want to look at custom building your own light fixture for the tank. Some wood work and a little wiring could get you the best all around solution.

I have found some 60 inch fixtures but they cost alot.. I mau try to look into building one.

Tess

Back
Top Bottom