Lightless Tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 11 tanks and the cost of wattage is getting uncomfortable. I had to put in an extra 20A circuit in my house to keep the circuit breakers from blowing all the time.

I have mostly planted tanks (with fish) and they are working out well. You can see some shots on my gallery.

I have also been fairly successful at breeding guppies and Giant Danios. I have a batch of 25 GDs an inch long right now.

Which brings me to the question. I'm thinking of trying using a well cycled plantless tank without any light but ambient for raising up fry. If I limit my feedings to daytime hours, it seems like it might be a good way to control the watts and continue the progress I'm making with breeding.

Any thoughts?

Ambient room light is fine for a fish only tank, unless you keep your rooms really dark. lol Higher light levels are for growing plants and for our benefit.

One thing you can do is get some of the cheap, small tank lights that take one incandescant bulb. If you want some decent light use the screw in compact flourescent lights. Or just use a low watt incandescent, even a nite light. This puts out enough light to see and for fry to easily find food.

Heck put these on timers, just run em around feeding time and hardly use any juice at all.

That sounds really good. I even had thoughts about using a LED based nightlight instead of Lunar Lights. I've bought several Lunar Lights and I really like the effect, but have had 2 of them die, and they are rather kludgey anyway.

Back
Top Bottom