Lights in the fug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcj0033

Aquarium Advice Freak
Should u ever turn the lights off in the refugium

some people don't and some people do. I do it mainly because when light is on, PH usually go up, I use the light on in the sump/fuge to balance the PH in the main tank.So that the shift on the PH would not be that huge between day and night. There is also a reason that light on/off in fuge would affect the growth of macro algae however that was not the main reason why I keep the light off during day time

The photosynthesis process in the macro algae needs dark to complete the cycle

Some run 24 while others run 12. I've run both on my tank and currently have the better results out of the 24 cycle. In my refugium I have red bone grass, which is growing nicely, but I'm actually more interested in growing hair algae in there to be removed. Think of it as an algae turf scrubber without the work. Currently working great.

The photosynthesis process in the macro algae needs dark to complete the cycle

What? No it doesn't.
Photosynthesis can occur 24/7. If your referring to the "Dark Cycle" that is a term that refers to the final stage of photosynthesis that doesn't require or use light. But it can certainly be present.

I shut lights my dump lights off in the day for pH balancing and to get my pods more active in the sump in hopes they will get carried into the return.

What? No it doesn't.
Photosynthesis can occur 24/7. If your referring to the "Dark Cycle" that is a term that refers to the final stage of photosynthesis that doesn't require or use light. But it can certainly be present.

I shut lights my dump lights off in the day for pH balancing and to get my pods more active in the sump in hopes they will get carried into the return.

Yeah - sorry trying to recall grade school biology without refreshing my memory first. Thanks for fixing that statement.

Back
Top Bottom