Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just be careful adding light. If you start getting too much light and don't add CO2 you'll grow an algae farm.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

New update so she just told me it is a 10 gal im thinking either the sea clear one or the hexagon from petsmart but she said it comes with 2 cfls so I think that should be enough light. Lol trying to trick me into think I'm getting a 55 gal nice try mom. But I plan on stocking it with yellow shrimp, a honey gourami, and several fancy guppies. What plants would you recommend for the shrimp. I have never owned shrimp and I would like to know what I need for them to be happy in the tank.

Congrats on the tank. I currently run 4x 23 watt 6500k cfl on a 29 gallon. It was a Diy project that's been great at growing plants.

As far a your livestock list. If you're going with shrimp, I would just make it a shrimp tank. The gourami will definitely eat your shrimp. Guppies will be ok with shrimp, but will end up eating the baby shrimp. Shrimp enjoy mosses, but any plant Will do for shrimp. Just my two cents.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ya I thought the gourami was a long shot but I was planning to let the shrimp establish a good sized colony by themselves for at least 2-3 months then add the guppies that way even though the babies will be eaten there will still be some that survive

You can do that. I had a gourami with my 29 gal community tank that had shrimp. For the most part he left the shrimp alone, but sometimes stocked them. Your tank imo will be too small for a gourami anyway. If your interested, I have some tiger endlers. Pm me to work something out, if not no big deal.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks so I will probably end up doing a all endler or all guppy can these two species be together if so what variations could live in the 10 gal (like how much of each)

I would stick with one species (they can interbreed with each other) and if you want color, the males of either fish will have it. You could keep 6 to 10 maybe more since they have a small bio load.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you do an all male tank you can have both endlers and guppies. That is what I do. I have a female tank and a male tank. No babies that way.

You can grow high light plants with CFL spiral bulbs and clamp lights, also called brooder lights. You can even use just a table lamp. Just be sure the bulbs are daylight, 6500k. They come in different wattage. I am using two of those in 20 watts on my 10 g to grow high light plants. On my 29 gallon high I am using three, 27 watt bulbs to grow medium to high light plants. I started with a T12 shop light then went to T8 plant light from Walmart. I am now using LED light bulbs to replace the CFL bulbs.

Shrimp like moss, hornwort, any floating plant, plus stem plants like anarchis that you can plant in dense clumps. Here is a link to low light plants that you can add Low Light Plant List | AquaScaping World Forum

Alright I ended up getting a 24 gallon nano cube.
Heater
Filter built in behind tank
Thermometer
Driftwood
Three rocks
20 lbs of sand
20 lbs Eco complete planted aquarium substrate

It is all setup and cycling at the moment I was wondering when should I get plants and what type of plants. Plan on having yellow shrimp but not sure what fish to get. I do want fish preferably black and/or yellow. Thanks in advance for you help.

http://s36.photobucket.com/user/spl1999spencer1044/media/imagejpg1_zps5f9bc301.jpg.html
http://s36.photobucket.com/user/spl1999spencer1044/media/imagejpg3_zps7158152c.jpg.html
http://s36.photobucket.com/user/spl1999spencer1044/media/imagejpg2_zps52615ae9.jpg.html

How big are those images on Photobocket? The link would the page but no image would appear. I'm on wifi using the mobile app.
You can plant right away. Your plant selection depends on your lighting. What light fixture are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I still need to order 2 36 watt 10,000k coralife bulbs but that's what will be on the tank

Is that a dual T5 HO or NO fixture? Any reason you are going with the 10000k over 6700k? You could do one of each.

They are compact fluorescent bulbs and the reason 10,000k is because that's the only bulb I could find for this tank the bulbs on it right now are two 36 watt half 10,000k daylight half 7,100k actinic blue.

They are compact fluorescent bulbs and the reason 10,000k is because that's the only bulb I could find for this tank the bulbs on it right now are two 36 watt half 10,000k daylight half 7,100k actinic blue.

Got it. Did not realize they were CF. I did a quick search on Amazon I only found 10000k, actinic, and mixed bulbs. :(

I'm ordering white bulbs and getting rid of the blue it will be 2 10,000 k 36 watt white CFL bulbs

I'm ordering white bulbs and getting rid of the blue it will be 2 10,000 k 36 watt white CFL bulbs

That K value will look very "cold". It's how our eyes perceive that wavelength. See your tank won't look blue per se, but compared to a tank with a warmer toned light it will look less bright and warm. I know these are the lights you could find but perhaps later you want to switch your lights out, just a thought.

Another member on here just switched his lights from 50/50s to 6,500K the tank looks amazingly different.

It should still grow plants, don't get me wrong.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I try to keep searching for a lower k value. Now as far as the shrimp go what plants do like to have around like moss balls ect.. I. Think I'm gonna get 10 fancy and or tuxedo guppies. What other fish could I add any show piece fish (bigger fish would have 1 to 2 in he tank)

Beautiful tanks and I just ordered a 36 watt 10,000k daylight and a 36 watt 6,500 k daylight bulb they will be here next week. Funny thing was the 6,500 k the one I couldn't find was only $5 lol love the deal

Back
Top Bottom