Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright so i bought a coralife light a while ago (link is below) and its 36 watts.
I saw what looks like the same light for about 10 dollars more that has a 65 watt bulb in it(link below) and i was wondering if i could get a 65 watt bulb and put it in there or if the other light is actually different.

Light i have = http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=24051;category_id=2543

65 watt one = http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=24057;category_id=2543
(edited the link sorry about that)
TIA for any help you can give me

You linked the samething twice. Doesn't matter though 65 watt bulb wont work in a 36 watt fixtue. You will need to replace the fixture to increase light.

alright thanks..kinda a bummer lol. It will give my 20 gallon 1.8 watts/gal and ill have a CO2 injection so is it safe to say i can support most moderate and low light plants or will i need to upgrade for the moderate lighted plants.

You should be able to grow a lot of plants with that light. You need to experiment and see what will work.

I could tell you how to upgrade it.. and void your warrentee :twisted: :lol:

But seriously, if your intrested in getting the higher watt unit (you do have CO2 injection) see if you cant sell your unit on aquabid or in the classifieds for say 15-20% off retail and snag the other unit?

Greenmaji's idea is to trade the ballast out for a bigger one. but that still means more money spent, and a 'rigged' fixture. better to just sell it as-is, and get the bigger fixture if you want more light.

1.6wpg will grow quite a few things, but with it being only 1 bulb, you'll have 1.6wpg straight down, but lucky to have 1wpg off to the front and back whre the light isn't as intense. that's the other advantage to multi-bulb setups.

So how much would a single strip 65 watt get me in the areas that arent direct? Directly under its 3.25 watts/gal.

Thanks for all the help!!

Edit: also if i purchase a dual stip fixture how much light from each fixture wil cross over. I looked at a fixture with 2x65 watt and im worried that im going to have really high watts per gallon like 6w/gal which i really dont need.

How wide is your tank? I havnt seen anyone complain of light disapation from a single bulb being a problem.

You shouldn't need 6wpg (not that its not possible but great DIY or preasurized CO2 and a wild ride of nutrent dosing would be the likely situation)

And yea, at the price points here, it would make more sence not to spend money to "upgrade" the fixture IMHO.

If you want to go for a wild ride, then upgrade your lighting like I did at one time, with 520W over a 75G. If you think you are good enough to jump into a NASCAR during the middle of a race, then you are ready, lol. I think anything over 5-6w/g is going to get pretty wild. lol.

The tanks 12 inches wide and i put the light on there. Most of the tank gets light except the very front, which is possibly because im using a standard plastic hood. I need to go to petsmart and pick up a glass one. i think it will be fine my whole problem is that i want plants that need moderate light and im not sure 1.8 w/gal is moderate light. Thats how this whole thing started lol.

And thanks alot for all the help

Close to 2wpg is what I would consider moderate.
As in carbon isn't normaly limited (CO2 injection isn't going to be nessiary but still benifitial)

Back
Top Bottom