Lily trimming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankerJs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone, so I bought a lily bulb for my tank and it's growing really well. If I trim it will the trimmings grow too?

I doubt it. They mainly reproduce through seeds, and probably through lateral bulb growth as well. A trimming would be useless without a bulb to provide roots and nutrients.

Okay, so when the flower grows, how do I extract the seeds to grow more?

First off, I'm not sure if lilies are self-fertilizing, or if they need a second plant to produce viable seeds. If one plant can produce viable seeds by itself, I would just let nature take its course. Just wait and see if any new lily plants grow in your tank. If you get more growth lateral to the base bulb, that could signal bulb reproduction. If you're not going to move the plants to a new tank, I would just let it be, I love natural growth in a tank!

I'm new to lilies but I got a Tiger Lotus about a month ago and it had one bulb on it with some leaves and a runner with more leaves. I didn't detach them and planted them both and they have both grown. It has been a month now so I'm thinking of trying to separate the 'runner' portion as it looks pretty healthy.

But besides all that, about 2 weeks ago I noticed what looked like a small broken-off leaf floating around. Taking it out I noticed that it had its own bulb so left it in and tried to keep it in an area of strong light. Now today that bulb has 5 leaves total and some small roots although the whole plant is only about 2 inches haha.

The point of the story is to give things time and you might get a pleasant surprise.

Back
Top Bottom