Liquid Fertilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy91

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Everyone :D

Got another question for everyone possiably one that has been answered many times but...

Are there any good Liquid Fertilizers out there? And what do they do?

Currently my friend and I have started planted tanks his is a 150gal planted (His 5th tank) and mine I converted my 20gal into a completely planted tank. Now I'm wondering what kind of Fertlizers can I get to help plant growth and health. In my 20gal I had a DIY CO2 (things started dying rapidly with it) and took it out and plants seem to be doing alittle better... I also have a gravel/fert substrate which seems to be helping and I have all the lighting I need. I am going to be adding pressurized CO2 Eventually when I save up and blow a few bucks. Also going to be adding real Driftwood in a few weeks.

But right now just looking for something to help plants grow and look healther... If anyone has any suggestion or ideas im glad to hear them!

Thanks! :thanks:

I dose flourish, flourish excel... Sand substrate, and moderate lighting(ithink). So far my plants look great!!

Liquid Ferts

Hello Andy...

Before my tanks were so heavily stocked with fish, I dosed a couple of different liquids from a company named "Earth Juice". These are very inexpensive, organic ferts specifically for growing plants without soil. However, since they're organic, they worked very well in my planted tanks. Dosing depends on the volume of the tank and the number of fish you have.

Don't neglect the other two parts of the planted tank puzzle. You need to match the plant to your lighting or get the lighting watts per gallon of tank volume close to 2.

And, make sure you're keeping the mineral levels high in the tank by replacing a minimum of half the water in the tank every week. If you can do these three, you'll have a nicely planted tank in a few months.

B

I dose flourish, flourish excel... Sand substrate, and moderate lighting(ithink). So far my plants look great!!

I hear alot of things about flourish and flourish excel and I've been thinking of giving them a try. Now is the diffrence with excel CO2? Just wondering what the real diffrence is from the two.

:thanks:

Hello Andy...

Before my tanks were so heavily stocked with fish, I dosed a couple of different liquids from a company named "Earth Juice". These are very inexpensive, organic ferts specifically for growing plants without soil. However, since they're organic, they worked very well in my planted tanks. Dosing depends on the volume of the tank and the number of fish you have.

Don't neglect the other two parts of the planted tank puzzle. You need to match the plant to your lighting or get the lighting watts per gallon of tank volume close to 2.

And, make sure you're keeping the mineral levels high in the tank by replacing a minimum of half the water in the tank every week. If you can do these three, you'll have a nicely planted tank in a few months.

B

Thanks for your help B! :D

Never heard of Earth Juice before, I did a quick look on their website and I did see they have a few diffrent types of product. Which do you recommend to use? I do have fish so I don't want them effected by anything.

And there is no problem with lighting I have enough light for pretty much any plant, just need CO2 but im working on that. :) And water changes are kept up to par, I normally do 1-2 water changes a week and if im bored ill do a extra lol.

Thanks for your help B! :D

Never heard of Earth Juice before, I did a quick look on their website and I did see they have a few diffrent types of product. Which do you recommend to use? I do have fish so I don't want them effected by anything.

And there is no problem with lighting I have enough light for pretty much any plant, just need CO2 but im working on that. :) And water changes are kept up to par, I normally do 1-2 water changes a week and if im bored ill do a extra lol.

Hello again...

I used a couple, one called "Grow" and another called "Microblast". I really preferred the Microblast. It's a clear liquid and I'd typically dosed a capful or so once a week when I did my water changes. as my fish numbers grew, I stopped using the commercial ferts. If you have a lot of fish and feed them a variety of foods, IMO you don't need the commercial version.

Several, smaller water changes aren't as affective as one large one. If you're not removing at least 50 percent at a time per week, you're not going to have the best results. If you're going to the effort of getting out the equipment for a water change, you may as well remove a large amount and do it just once a week. This routine will guarantee stable water conditions.

I still use the old five gallon buckets and use water that's slightly warmer than the tank water I remove. My fish really love the new water a little warmer. I point the syphon next to one wall of the tank and that way you avoid disturbing the gravel. My fish all rush to that side of the tank to swim back and forth through the warm water.

B

Hello again...

I used a couple, one called "Grow" and another called "Microblast". I really preferred the Microblast. It's a clear liquid and I'd typically dosed a capful or so once a week when I did my water changes. as my fish numbers grew, I stopped using the commercial ferts. If you have a lot of fish and feed them a variety of foods, IMO you don't need the commercial version.

Several, smaller water changes aren't as affective as one large one. If you're not removing at least 50 percent at a time per week, you're not going to have the best results. If you're going to the effort of getting out the equipment for a water change, you may as well remove a large amount and do it just once a week. This routine will guarantee stable water conditions.

I still use the old five gallon buckets and use water that's slightly warmer than the tank water I remove. My fish really love the new water a little warmer. I point the syphon next to one wall of the tank and that way you avoid disturbing the gravel. My fish all rush to that side of the tank to swim back and forth through the warm water.

B

Thanks!

I'll look more into the ferts. Should find something that will help the plants a bit, ill do more research.

Yeah I normally do a 45%-50% water change is what I mean. And I do the same 5 Gallon bucket method (only 20gal tank so its not too bad even though I have to walk up stairs) and use warmer water my fish love it too! :D

I have these trays that have 6 squares cut out so the roots can enter. But there is a layer of lake soil in the bottom with a layer of sponge above it. My plants are planted solidly and are very green I also use nutrafin it an amazing liquid fert

Back
Top Bottom