List of heavy-lite waste producing fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deepwater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone know of a site that lists the fish by how heavy a bio-load they are? [ie-kuhli loaches are very easy on the bio load. Bettas are a lot heavier etc] It would help a lot deciding between fish sometimes.

If you look at your tank as a closed system, everything that is in the tank is something you put in and the only bio-thing you put in on a regular basis is food so the bioload is really a function of the amount of food not the fish. Bigger fish that need more food will increase the bioload. Some consider bottom feeders to be light because they eat food that may have gone uneaten otherwise.

Plecos and goldfish are notorious mess making poop machines! I too have looked for a list of fish and their respective bioload effects on a tank but haven't yet found one. So I just go by the assumption that anything big is gonna be a heavier bioload then anything small. I also assume any type of feeder fish is gonna be bacteria ridden. And IMO goldfish do best in ponds where they can grow and grow and grow and poop and poop and poop. LOL

Back
Top Bottom