List of low-bioload fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactuspixie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would like to put together a list of fish that have light bioloads. I seem to be drawn to the poopiest freshwater fish on the planet!

So, please add the names of fish you know to have light bioloads, and if possible, whether they are fussy eaters.

Thanks!

Ghost shrimp, shrimp in general

Kuhli loaches

Also Cory cats

Last edited by a moderator:
Dwarf puffers are an exception. They have a high bio load for such a small fish.

The smaller the fish the smaller the poop...right? Kind of easy to figure oh ah?

It doesn't work that way. Guppies have a bioload comparable of mollies. A Molly could probably be compared to a small cichlid.

It doesn't work that way. Guppies have a bioload comparable of mollies. A Molly could probably be compared to a small cichlid.

So wait? I'm confused. You are saying a guppy has the same bioloads as a small cichlid. What is a small cichlid to you? Dwarfs? Or small conventional cichlids?

It depends on how you feed your fish also. If you feed them a lot they will poop a lot. Feed lightly and there will be less poop.

So wait? I'm confused. You are saying a guppy has the same bioloads as a small cichlid. What is a small cichlid to you? Dwarfs? Or small conventional cichlids?

It depends on how you feed your fish also. If you feed them a lot they will poop a lot. Feed lightly and there will be less poop.

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that they are close. A guppy could be a little less, a Molly could be a little more, a small dwarf cichlid could be a little more than that. But a penguin tetra, bigger than a guppy, has a smaller bioload. Get what I'm saying?

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that they are close. A guppy could be a little less, a Molly could be a little more, a small dwarf cichlid could be a little more than that. But a penguin tetra, bigger than a guppy, has a smaller bioload. Get what I'm saying?

Oh ok, ya, they ascend in brio load. Guppy, Molly, dwarf cichlids.

So the amount of poop produced is one thing, but what about the other ways fish can excrete waste? I've read here somewhere that some fish excrete ammonia through their gills?

Not just size, but also diet. Fish that eat lots of greens (plecos, mollies, goldfish, etc) aren't able to actually digest all of the plant material (cellulose, i believe?) too efficiently and because of this they poop it a lot of it out. Predators, like oscars (and on a smaller scale puffers) eat messily by chewing their prey into bits and they arent always able to catch all the bits so it just kinda rots.

Back
Top Bottom