Little Bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nacra_racer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All,
I'm new to this list and have been reading the post for about an hour now. Some very good info.
I have a question. It maybe a problem but then again it may not be. First let me say that yes, I know my 29 gal tank is a bit overstocked. I do frequent partial water changes and check my levels about every 3rd day. Also I know that I will have to remove some of my fish when they become bigger.
About a month ago I noticed these small bubbles all the way around the water level of my tank. At that time everything that came into touch with the water also seemed a bit slymy. This was about the time I added 3 Tiger Barbs as well. Well the Barbs died one by one and I told my lfs what had happened. She said it sounded like a parasite and I bought some Quick Cure. After five days of meds the bubbles and slime where gone so I added a Clown Loach. All of my fish are happy but the little bubbles at the water level are back with no slime this time. I believe that my hob filter is not working as it should, but I could be wrong. I've been looking at the Emperor 400 because I know that I have an overstocked aquarium.
Any idea what these little bubbles are? It's really no big deal other than an eye sore and I love to keep my tank VERY clean. By the way, someone also mentioned dead bacteria. I do have a UGF and two powerheads. That's why I am thinking the emperor 400 would be a good addition.
Any help, comments or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Do you happen to use a dechlorinator that has aloe in it? Several of them do, and I have found that the bubbles accumulate with the use of this kind of declor.

Also, dwarf gouramis are bubble nest builders, so they might be making the bubbles as well. I do not think it is anything to be concerned about, however, no matter what the cause, as long as it is nothing toxic that is getting into the tank, like soap or something. Increased surface agigation with a bubble wand or something will break them up some if they are bothersome to you.

Back
Top Bottom