Little mushroom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wbartsch

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just noticed this coming out the bottom of my LR. Is it a small mushroom? Should i move my duncan coral? There is only like an inch between them and idk what this is

Attachments

• image-4056215614.jpg
    image-4056215614.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 149
It's a mushroom and I would move the Duncan. Both are fast growers the mushrooms can stretch out a inch or two from the rock at times. The Duncan will get gushy fast too. I'd give them at min 3-4 inch between them. I think the Duncan would win in a war though.

Ok moved him! Are either of them agressive?

In my experience in my tank I wouldn't say say they are aggressive towards other corals just rapid growers.
Mushrooms are fast shredders they are continually moving leaving little parts of their foot behind which crows into a new mushroom. Mushrooms do not have sweeper tentacles they are photosynthetic and can also be target fed but don't have to. Mushrooms will generally stay in a location they like ie. water flow and light.
Duncan's just have the reach if their tentacles and are also photosynthetic. I feed mine and it has gone from 3 heads to over 15 in 2mo. Just feed it mysid shrimp.

Iv been feeding mine little pieces of freeze dried shrimp. I dont have a freezer/refrigerator sadly. What will the mushroom eat? I also have phytoplankton

On occasion I had some curl up and eat some small pellet food. In general I don't fed my mushrooms they grow fast on their own. This pic there is over a dozen of them which started from 1 red & 1 blue a little over a year ago and have sold about 20+ back to my LFS they have more than paid for themselves. Once they start multiplying they go quick. 1 becomes 2 2->4 4->8 you get the idea. They look good when they grow into a group.

Attachments

• image-2731944529.jpg
    image-2731944529.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 110
Hey thats the same one i got! Looks good i may copy you with the red blue combo. How do you frag them?

If you google it their are a bunch of videos. Mine I just cut up the rock they were attached to and glues those pieces of Roche to other rocks. You can not superglue the base of a mushroom down it will just let go and go floating around your tank. Letting then spread naturally and cutting the rock with a bone cutter is the easiest. Slicing them up just seams like a lot of work.
http://youtu.be/ZtbWJ70oy9M

Would cutting the base of the shroom kill it?

No the left over base should re grow into a new mushroom. Which also can make them hard to get rid of too. I have carved them off with a knife and had then regrow from a small part left behind.

This is 4mo growth on my Duncan they get bushy.

Attachments

• image-2962244679.jpg
    image-2962244679.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 83
  • image-2219867516.jpg
    image-2219867516.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 76
What kind of lighting do you use? Just curious

I have 2 X reef breeders photon 24 LED's on a 120gal 48x24x24 tank. I had T5's on a 75gal that I had started with then when I switched to the LED everything grew faster and color was better. This was my red and blue mushrooms when I got them under the t5's.

Attachments

• image-2162020097.jpg
    image-2162020097.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I have 2 X reef breeders photon 24 LED's on a 120gal 48x24x24 tank. I had T5's on a 75gal that I had started with then when I switched to the LED everything grew faster and color was better. This was my red and blue mushrooms when I got them under the t5's.

What t5 fixture were you using in your 75 gal.. I just started one and am looking for some lights ?

Im using 2 bulb t5 ho on my 20 and am looking to upgrade. For a 75g id go 4-6 bulb hood with the ati bulbs

I'd go with a 6 bulb fixture if you are going with t5's. Keep in mind that bulbs are going to run about $120 a year pulse the initial cost of the fixture. Power consumption when all on on 8-10hrs is 324watts. Say you went with a reef breeders photon (programable & dimable) your initial investment about $450 total power consumed 97watts full power which you would most likely not ever have them set to full power. With the savings on power and bulb replacement every year and energy savings a led fixture would pay for it self in 2-3yrs.

Then I had my 75 gal tank it wasn't drilled and that was the biggest mistake I made with that thank and the main reason I upgraded to a larger tank. On my 75 I decided I wanted a sump and did a hang on back overflow box. I was on vacation and it had lost its siphon and the main tank overflowed. Thank god I had a Apex controller and knew something wan not right and was able to shut down the return pump and have some go to the house and check it out. My new tank has dual overflows with emergency overflow pipes too. Nothing like pice of mind.

I was looking through some of your other threads your tank looks pretty darn good.

I'd go with a 6 bulb fixture if you are going with t5's. Keep in mind that bulbs are going to run about $120 a year pulse the initial cost of the fixture. Power consumption when all on on 8-10hrs is 324watts. Say you went with a reef breeders photon (programable & dimable) your initial investment about $450 total power consumed 97watts full power which you would most likely not ever have them set to full power. With the savings on power and bulb replacement every year and energy savings a led fixture would pay for it self in 2-3yrs.

Then I had my 75 gal tank it wasn't drilled and that was the biggest mistake I made with that thank and the main reason I upgraded to a larger tank. On my 75 I decided I wanted a sump and did a hang on back overflow box. I was on vacation and it had lost its siphon and the main tank overflowed. Thank god I had a Apex controller and knew something wan not right and was able to shut down the return pump and have some go to the house and check it out. My new tank has dual overflows with emergency overflow pipes too. Nothing like pice of mind.

I was looking through some of your other threads your tank looks pretty darn good.

Okay I'll have to look into those and save up some $! Do you have a picture of what they look like.. The fixture and the tank with them on?? And thank you !! It's only a 6 gal but like I said I just started my 75 gal and can't wait to get it running!!

Iv actually been looking into the reefbreeder over my 20g. The website mentions optics. Being new to LED lights, what does this mean? Haha

Iv actually been looking into the reefbreeder over my 20g. The website mentions optics. Being new to LED lights, what does this mean? Haha

Optics are what spreads out the light from the led. they either come uot at a 60 90 or 120 degree cone shape spread. 60deg being more of a focused light and 120 being more spread out. The ones I had bought were 90 deg optics. there is a nice chart on their website too. Logn over at reefbreeders is very helpful too.

Here is a quote from the reef breeders website on optics:
The 60 degree optics will have a lot of depth penetration, but not a lot of spread, and are ideal for 30"- 40" d​​eep tanks. The 90s have a decent amount of depth penetration, but more spread than the 60s. We recommend them on tanks from 18" deep, to 30" deep. The 120s (or no optics on the value fixtures) have a lot of spread, but not too much depth penetration. They will work on tanks up to 24" deep.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom