Live Plants In A Goldfish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fetcher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to be getting a new fish tank very soon for my goldfish, and I was wondering what plants are compatable with goldfish and how to care for those spacific plants. Also, if I where to but a rubbernose pleco or some other algea eater in thattank, would it eat my plants?

here is a list of plants I found while researching goldie tanks:

1. Elodea densa, Anacharis (Mermaid’s Weed)
2. Water Sprite
3. Hygrophila difformis-(Wisteria)
4. Microsorum pteropus (Java Fern-does benefit from more acidic and warmer H2O)
5. Anubias barteri/ var. nana (standard/dwarf)
6. Bolbitis heudelotti (African/Congo Water Fern)
7. Echinodorus amazonicus (Amazon Swordplant)
8. Hydrocotyle maritima/verticillata (Pennywort)
9. Vallisneria sp.
10. Vesicularia dubyana (Java Moss-great for low light tanks and adherence to other décor)
11. Hornwort/Coontail (grows like crazy-great floating plant also)
12. Frogbit and duckweed (floating only plants-usually grazed on by fish)

I think there are more than that. I've seen some really nice pictures of planted fish tanks. Check this website out:

http://www.goldfishparadise.com/society/totm.php

Hope that helped!

My only experience with goldfish (well koi, but they are similar cause they are diggers) is that you want to keep these plants well rooted. If not they will dig them up and you'll have to replant it day after day, a solution is to either plant it under 3" of gravel (i'm dong 2" of flourite and 1" gravel) or place rocks that are large enough to where they can't move them.

As far as plecos go, they are easy to maintain if you have lots of algae they will be ok, if not be sure you get veggie wafers for them. They are nocturnal so they will just hide in corners or dark areas until night time.

koi are much worse than fancy goldfish (which is what I am assuming Fetcher has). However, they still do some rooting. Using some larger river rocks to protect the roots will help. Just make sure you aren't completely crushing the roots.

Hmm..I thought I posted here last night..haha kay..guess not.

Yes, I have fancy goldfish..I had a plant once, but it wasn't the right kind to go with goldfish I guess...so they ate it!

I was wondering, in my new tank I didn't want gravel, just river rock and plants...but would the plants be able to root themselves without gravel?

Thank you everyone! :D

I've got anacharis, water wisteria, dwarf sag, and some java ferns in mine. I've got 2 smaller fancy golds (ryukin 3" and fantail 2") as well as a clown pleco (2"). Of all the plants, I have the hardest time with the wisteria. It grows like a weed (I think it is one), but they like to nip at it (though they haven't eaten it enough to notice). I use about 2" of gravel and ensure that all stems/roots are firmly planted. I have two images in my gallery (when I only have anacharis and wisteria). I'll try to upload some more later.

Back
Top Bottom