live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigfish1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i was wonderingif anyone could help me with my plant problem.they are all starting to look clear and stringing on the ends. what can i do

A few questions so we can have more information to help you with the prob.

- What kind of plants do you have?
- What kind of lighting to you have?
- Do you dose fertilizer?
- What is your tank size and stock?

plants are amazon swords i also have several anabus plants and a couple of hair grass. the tank is a 55 gallon with 40 watts of glo bulbs.i use liguid fertilizer from aqueon. it only has 4 goldfish in the tank

You have very little light for that size tank. I've never have good luck with swords in low light <40Wx2>. <No luck in medium either....> You would need to triple your light to consider swords IMO. <FYI, I have 4x that amount over my tank & is only good for medium light plants.> Anubias, however, would do just fine with what you got.

With the amount of light, you prob don't need to dose fert. Esp. when you hae goldies, they make enough waste as is. <Also swords would do better with root ferts (tabs or substrate) ... but that is a moot point when you don't have enough light.>

Thanks for the advice. so will my kyoto grass do good with the amount of light i have? It would probably be a good idea to get more light also.

I've had luck with amazon swords with about 1.5 wpg. They were surviving with about 1 wpg, but they've grown about 8in since I upgraded bulbs.

How long ago did you add the swords to the tank? My swords came from one of those tubes with the gel and I didn't think they were going to make it. Turns out they were probably grown emersed (out of water) and they needed to adjust to growing submersed.

I also bleadh-dipped my swords recently and I left them in a litle too long. The leaves were translucent and I lost one leaf off each plant. It turned clear and the tissue between the veins of the leaf disappeared.

Root tabs work well. A well-established sword has roots that are longer than the leaves. My 12" tall sword had roots that reached all the way across my 29g (30").

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom