Live Rock for 75gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbagg2001

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am planning on getting live rock for my newly purchased 75 gallon tank and the prices at the lfs for live rock are extremely expensive, arround 10$/lbs for curred and 6$/lbs for un-curred. I know a general rule of thumb for live rock is around 1-2lbs per gallon. Does that mean per gallon of water or per gallon of the size of the tank, because i have only arround 55 gallons of water in my tank. Do i go by that number or by the 75 gallon rating of the tank. So ultimately how much LR would you guys recommend i get? And finally where would you recommend i get the LR if i get it off of the internet. Im near Kansas City. Middle of the country :) Any suggestions are appreciated.

HI there tbagg2001 . This site has a sponser called www.liverocks.com. These guys sell some nice rock pretty darn cheap. Check out there web site. Give Zack a e-mail hes a great guy to work with.

I have a 75 gallon and i have apox 130 pounds of rock in it. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Good luck Dewey

Liveaquaria.com has the special for Fiji rock right now and you get the next day delivery for the same price as 2 day. 45lbs for $150 is the best I have got and seen. The rock is still showing me things too.

My rock from gulf-view and liverocks was good too. I was trying to get a little diversity in my rock. I have about 110 lbs in my 75 gal and I always thought the 1-2 lbs per gallon was based of the tank size. Why does your 75 gal only have 55 gal of water in it?

Why does your 75 gal only have 55 gal of water in it?
I put in my substrate and then put in my water, i had 65 gallons to use but ive only used 55 gallons so far and the tank is a couple inches from being full so i opted to save the water until after i put in the LR, since the LR will make the water level rise. I might have to use more water but figured i'd conserve as much water as possible by not filling the tank all the way up and having to lower the water level to get all the LR in. And obviously with everything in the tank it wont have up to its highest rated gallons. (75 in my case) i just wanted to make sure that the 1-2lbs was based on the size of tank and not actual water amount.

Got 100# from www.liverocks.com last week and am thrilled to death with it.
I got 100#s from them about 6 months ago and I feel the same way.. MHO there is nothing that even compares to the LR from them.. BTW I have about 100#s in a Rated 55gal tank..

HTH,
James

I know a general rule of thumb for live rock is around 1-2lbs per gallon.
this is just a rule if you are using the live rock as a filter mechanism. you can have more or less depending on what your using the rock for(i.e filter or asthetic purposes)

i agree liverocks.com rules!!!

hth
mark

I would recommend no less than 100-110lbs... but shoot for 150lbs if you can afford it.... And Liverocks.com is the only place to buy rock...

Back
Top Bottom