Live Rock in Eheim 2217?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cashmoney6980

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I've got an extraa eheim 2217 I've been running with nothing but filter floss, and the occasional bag of cat on in, but recently upgraded my Skimmer so have I have no more need for the floss... now the eheim sits empty, and I've been looking for ways to utilize it, and was thinking about filling with live rock.

I've read mixed reviews on whether this is helpful, or detrimental, and can't make up my mind, so was hoping to get some input... I know that it can be a detritus trap, but was thinking about wrapping the input to the filter in a sponge to catch any large pieces of detritus and giving my CUC something to munch on in between cleaning it.

What would be the pros/cons of filling this Eheim 2217 with live rock? Its a large canister so could hold quite a bit.

Its going on a 125 gallon FOWLR with a 40 gallon sump. Its got about 150 lbs of rock so far, and has been running for over a year. The Bio load is still very low, but will be higher within the next few months.

Thanks in advance for any input! Any, and all advice is welcome!!

I wouldn't fill a canister with LR if your display already had about 1lbs per gallon in it, that there is enough filtration. The rock would just make it harder to clean, which is what makes them notorious nitrate factories to begin with, not being cleaned. If you have a sump, then that is what is currently fulfilling the role a canister does. THere isn't a need to run both.

I have heard/read about small canister filter cryptic/benthic refugium - I am currently going to try to set one up with my new set up in a eheim 2228.

The key to it is that you really need to restrict the flow rate.

Heads up though - I am new to a reef system - just something I read to utilize an expensive piece of equipment. Plus, some people swear by them.

See that was one thing that's interested me in LR in a canister too..the cryptic zone. I've read the anaerobic bacteria grows a lot better in spots like that which could help a lot bringing down nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom